1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gear jumped to N while driving by itself

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by hj0102, Aug 16, 2007.

1. hj0102

hj0102 New Member

Well, first I couldn't set gear to d. 'Cause about 5 times it just jump up to N. Try Accel right after put gear down to D and works, after about 1 mile drive it jumped back to N right after I got out of intersection.

Went to Toyota, let them figure out, I may get a call tomorrow. Anyone had same problem? What if it happen on Highway while I'm driving 70mph. Scary!! I though about lemon law somehow, even though it just one strike, lol.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, might take a little looking, but we had a member recently with a similar issue. It was determined that there was some problem with the shifter itself and that required replacement. She wasn't under warranty and, I think, was able to obtain the part and install it herself.

If I can find the link I'll post it....

Here you go:

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=3...mp;#entry493934

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    At any rate, nothing bad would happen if it occurred while you were driving at 70 MPH. The car will not over-rev. All that would happen is the car would slowly slow down. The accel. pedal does not have a cable to the throttle body. It's throttle by wire (computer controlled electronics).

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In fact, if you ever think your Prius is 'running away,' put it in "N" and you are safe to roll or brake to a stop.

Bob Wilson

5. Teebeatea

Teebeatea New Member

may have happened to me, but the gear jump to B instead. was driving from portland to seattle on i-5 at 70 mph. about 45 minutes later i noticed that the cruise control no longer responded. that's when i saw the gear is in B. pulled over to complete stop before shifting back to D. i'm not certain that this was what really occured. perhaps i shifted into B to begin with, but taveling over 50 miles on battery seems to be unlikely. i'll report any recurrence and whatever fix toyota makes. my 3-yr warranty has just begun. :rolleyes:

6. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(timtim @ Aug 16 2007, 06:13 PM) [snapback]497285[/snapback]</div>
    You got that right! You might want to take a few minutes to look that up in your car's manual. "B" does not stand for "battery".

- Tom

7. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    The salesman probably told him/her that!!

8. Teebeatea

Teebeatea New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom_06 @ Aug 16 2007, 06:17 PM) [snapback]497370[/snapback]</div>
    thanks for pointing out my mistake. i did read the manual just now. you see i was so excited when got this prius. maybe i misunderstood the dealer orientation about the features of my new prius. i was made to believe that when i ran out of gas i can still go to the gas station by shifting to B whereby the car will be running on battery. next time i should verify the manual rather than trust somebody naive like myself. thanks again tom