1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gear shift handle starting to stick

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tony714, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Tony714

Tony714 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hey Prius peeps,

I have a 2005 touring with 230K. The thing runs great but I have noticed that the gear selection handle sticks when shifting into Drive. So, from startup or neutral, when shifting into drive the handle may stick for a second or two and then return itself to the home position. Is this a common problem? Can it be solved with like some lube or something? Does this mean the spring is wearing out?

Also, it does not prevent the transmission from shifting, it just sticks for a second or two.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You could take it out and look. It's possible some of the grease has grown peanut-buttery. At this age and mileage, you could be due to drop a new light bulb in there anyway.

3. Tony714

Tony714 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Light bulb? Where does that go? My gear shift area does not light up, or maybe it should and it just burned out.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It is clever and stylish. The shift knob is transparent in places, like for the lettering shift pattern, and that goes through to a narrow circle at the base of the knob right around where it screws on to the shaft. The light bulb concealed in the shifter housing shines light along that shaft, into the transparent ring at the base of the knob, and magic, you see the shift pattern on the knob light up.

The last Gen 2 I bought, a 2008, needed that light bulb, the one in the Park button, and the one in the power button. :)

How long the bulbs last depends a lot on the driver's preference with the dimmer knob; I've always preferred pretty dim, and they last years and years and years that way.

5. Tony714

Tony714 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yea the gear shift one is probably burned out. The power button is still shining bright. Thanks for the info, I am actually trying to sell it soon so I’m not going to do any of that.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The other way of looking at that is for like $4 in light bulbs and a few minutes of work, it looks all alive inside. :)