1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gear shifter sticks and park button fails

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by smithBYU85, Oct 1, 2007.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At Toyota Customer Care's insistence, I brought the Prius to the Dealer Service department this morning. Demonstrated the problem just as in the video above. We'll see what they do/say. Apparently Toyota hasn't promised to cover the cost of the diagnostics...they damn well better, I didn't even want to take it in for a diagnostic since I know what the diagnosis is.
    But if it gets a SSC/Recall started, then it'll be worth it.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Big surprise, the service department confirms it's the shifter...duh. Didn't get word yet if they think it's the dust cover warp or just a lube issue or what, but they don't repair, only replace. They quoted $672!! That's the highest I've seen on this yet.

I'm not paying to have the repair done, I'll just live with the problem. But if Toyota decides to pay for it, so be it.

[email protected] likes this.
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Evan,

Why don't you replace or repair the shifter yourself. This is a reasonably easy job.

[email protected] likes this.
  4. ohfiveprius

ohfiveprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Jumping in here and connecting a couple of threads where the same problem is being described.

My 2005 Prius shift knob/lever has developed the same clicking/sticking problem and it has gotten worse in the last week. Now when I try to go from park to drive, drive to reverse, reverse back to drive, I have to try many times and apply force to the knob just short of feeling like I am going to break the plastic. It makes a loud click/pop when it finally goes into position.

I went to Toyota yesterday and they told me that I probably had dirt in the groove where the plastic slides. They suggested squiring brake cleaner into the knob! I did not do this because brake cleaner removes paint/skin and I could not imagine how brake cleaner was going to help dirt in the grove.

After reading this thread I realize that the problem is not dirt in the groove that the plastic slides on. As I understand it now from reading all these posts the problem is warped plastic on the sliding "door" that borders the actual shifter shaft on its left side.

I found that breathing warm air into the shifter helps a bit... but it worries other drivers to see my head go down into the dashboard as I try to blow warm air into the knob area so that the plastic panel will move and allow me to shift.

I will call the 800 number on this thread. I, too, am cautious about pulling off the front panel. Nor do I want to pay $600-$1000 to have the knob replaced. Nor do I want to have an accident or get stuck somewhere with a stuck gear shift knob/lever. I haven't experienced the Park not working but I think that is because my knob is still moving. I want to do something about this before I have that problem as well.

Has there been any resolution of this issue? Is Toyota going to do something about this problem?/failure?

5. Hal Forman

Hal Forman New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just wanted to let folks know I just followed these instructions, snipping a small amount off the left edge of the plastic dust cover piece, and the shifter is working fine once again. Took about an hour and a half to take the dash apart, do the repair and put everything back together. Thanks so much!

koolingit likes this.
  6. water

water Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks to all for information on the fix. I submitted a complaint to NHTSA (see efusco's original post for link). True, it's just an annoyance for the alert driver who knows his/her car well, but this is an important design flaw that has the potential to create unplanned vehicle movement (as many of you have noted), which is clearly a principal safety issue. Let the folks at NHTSA know!