1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 1 2003 Prius-New 12V being Drain-3 Codes Present

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Mr.Reaper, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Mr.Reaper

Mr.Reaper New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Gen 1, Toyota Prius, 2003, 96k miles: Initially the issues appeared when the car was being driven in the highway. There was a sudden noise and the car began slowing down with a message displaying saying to pull over. The car speed was reduced to 1 mph or less while it felt forceful. After getting the car towed, the 12v battery was replaced (self Install kit) as it had been drained by hazard blinkers and unable to hold a charge any longer. 12v battery was a success, unfortunately the new 12v battery is being consistently drained. After acquiring a Mini VCI cable and complicated shenanigans to make it work with win10 x64. I was able to acquire the following 3 codes from 3 different Categories:

Hybrid Control Live
    P3000-battery Control System
    HV baterry Live
    P3009-Leak Detected
    ABS/VSS/TRAC Live
    C1259-hv System regenerative malfunction

Further the following icons are present in the dashboard and/or display:

Red Triangle !
    Warning: Red vehicle

I would appreciate some suggestions/help since my research/lurking online did not yield any results onto how to proceed to narrow down the problem. Further i'd prefer the toyota dealer as a last suggestion since I am a college student with limited funds and from research online seemed to have eye gouging prices.

Thank you again for your help.

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The code to focus on is the P3009-HV Isolation Leak Detected code. The other two codes are just echo codes that acknowledge they have seen the HV Battery ECU has a problem and to explain why they (the HV Control ECU and the ABS/VCS/TRAC ECU) have modified (if necessary) their behavior.

Do you have a copy of the Repair Manual? As tracking down a HV Isolation leak is reasonably involved. Possible areas are HV Battery, main cable (frame wire) and connectors, Transaxle, Inverter and A/C motor.

Others with more info will chime in soon, I hope.

mroberds likes this.
  3. Mr.Reaper

Mr.Reaper New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello

No I do not have a copy of the repair manual although I could always acquire one from eBay if necessary.

4. Mr.Reaper

Mr.Reaper New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also thanks to the information given dolj I did some research and found this youtube video regarding possible leak trouble shooting and narrowing down of the problem.
    Ill give this a go

5. Itsmeonprius

Itsmeonprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Nice video find. My gen1 has just come up with this code P3009 so I've run this test. It possibly confirms that my battery has the leak. The car has been sitting for a couple of months, only starting it every couple of weeks, and we've had very rainy weather. I'm wondering if its moisture related so I'll find out when I start digging into the battery enclosure.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

mroberds likes this.
  6. mroberds

mroberds Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went through the P3009 diagnosis myself just over a year ago. The whole thread is here: Chasing info code 123 *without* P3000? Or do I need a better scan tool? | PriusChat

The tl;dr is that I did all the factory service manual procedure, including megging out the cables, inverter, and transaxle. I ended up disassembling the bus bar modules from the traction pack, cleaning the bus bars and nuts with a wire brush and vinegar, rinsing them in clear water, cleaning electrolyte spoo from the ends of the battery modules and inside the traction pack, and putting it all back together. So far, the code hasn't returned.

Your mileage may vary. :)