1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 1 (2003) receiver hitch

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Jakob, May 4, 2022.

1. Jakob

Jakob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm in the unenviable position of trying to find a receiver hitch for my first generation Prius so I can use a hitch-mounted bike rack. After calling a bunch of local places my conclusion is that nobody seems to have a standard hitch that their systems identify as compatible with a 2003 Prius. I find the same thing when I search on uhaul.com and etrailer.com for products for that year.

But I just noticed that on U-Haul's website there does appear to be a compatible hitch when the 2001 or 2002 model year is selected. Before I call U-Haul does anybody have any idea why a hitch might be compatible with 2001 and 2002 but not 2003? Or if anybody was able to buy a standard hitch for a Gen 1 I'd love to hear where you found it.

2. Trombone

Trombone Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The U-Haul 2002 hitch should work for the 2003. AFAIK, there were no structural changes during the first years of production (the "Classic" Prius) that would affect the tie-down bracket locations where the hitch is mounted. Years ago there was (and still is, apparently) an outfit in Florida, http://www.coastaletech.com, that offered a number of mods and parts for the 2001-3 Prius, including a trailer hitch with 2" receiver. I bought one and it's mounted on my 2002 right now, for use with a bike rack. It also offered a mod that remotely opened the trunk, as well as extra key blanks so you could program your own duplicates---I did that, too. And I have their mod, a simple jumper wire installed in the driver-side interior fusebox, whereby the accessory outlet is always "live," which is very handy for charging phones and the like. But now they don't offer any products for models before 2007. There were some threads on this hitch topic a while back, including one that discusses the U-Haul hitch, as well as some bad customer experiences with coastaletech. Good luck with your search! (Footnote: Toyota says that the 2001-3 models aren't designed for trailer towing, though some early buyers apparently did so. I wouldn't risk damaging the transmission! Bike racks should be OK, though.)

#2 Trombone, May 5, 2022
    Last edited: May 5, 2022
  3. Jakob

Jakob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info! I'm waiting to hear back from U-Haul about whether they can find any reason for the alleged incompatibility. My guess is they'll say they don't have any more info, in which case I'll just go ahead and order it. Pretty exciting that there does seem to be a compatible hitch, after initially finding nothing due to selecting the 2003 model year. Neat thing about the mods. The trunk opener especially sounds very impressive since the stock latch back there is mechanical.

4. Jakob

Jakob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just heard back from U-Haul and they agree the hitch should be compatible. Part number is UHI24997CH.

5. Trombone

Trombone Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad for you! Happy biking!

Jakob likes this.
  6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I would think a Gen 2 hitch would work I don't have a gen one Prius here to look at there's one up the street I have to go looking back where the hitch mounts I have one on my gen 3 paid like 80 bucks for it it's a hidden hitch I think it looks like the Gen 3 one could go on the Gen too but I'm too lazy to pull it off and hold it up to the back of the gym too holes but it looks real close I need to get a receiver on my gen too my Gen 3 is a parking lot Queen mostly and I would think the Gen 2 would be the same back end fundamentally as the gen 1

7. Jakob

Jakob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I would have thought that too, but my parents have some gen 2s and I did some measuring. The rear frame rails are a good 10cm or so closer together on the gen 2, so I don't think there's any chance of adapting a gen 2 hitch to a gen 1.

8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    My gen 3 and most of the hidden hitches and other brands of receivers that I've seen the holes on one side or even on both sides of the bracket are slotted so they can shift a bit I know you still have holes on the rear subframe somewhere near the muffler above it whatever and over on the opposite side of the car so for just a bike rack whipping something up pretty quick would not be too prohibitive for inch and a quarter upright bike carrier like a saris thing. I don't own a gen one so probably not going to happen here but it seems like it would be a easy retrofit to use something off of the Gen 2 gen 3 maybe I found a Gen 2 and gen 3 local for like $66 I'm assuming I would be able to take that and me and my buddy with the torch would be able to whip it in the shape to make it happen or maybe not but I believe so

9. Bill Cossaboom

Bill Cossaboom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Assuming you went forward, can you post some pictures of it? I just need a bike rack, too, not a 1500 lb square tube hitch but they are the only ones...Worried it'll hang down too far, not just for looks but also my exit angle :)

New to this forum, Very helpful so far. "Inherited" a 2003 gen 1. Any SoCal locals would love to hear from you.

10. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    All the Toyota hitches for the prii.are going to be a lil low . The car already is so if you hang a hidden hitch back there you're going to be the width of the piece of square tubing that runs between the two tail lights if you will lower to the ground and if I'm not mistaken that's inch or inch and a quarter tubing so you're going to be half that down just at that one spot. So if you have the Prius lift kit on your car not going to bother you much if not and you're driving in lots of snow or sand or dirt or something and your 3/4 of an inch lower where that bar runs across so you're going to be striping the sand or the snow like you do with your lawn mower in the summer. For a street driven car this should make no matter as just look how often you'll be using the hitch. Especially was just a bike rack sticking out of it you're not even going to be putting 1/10 of the load made for the hitch a lightweight bike and Sarrid rack coming out of the hitch. With two bikes on it actually will weigh 48 lb whatever Not much

11. Jakob

Jakob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure thing Bill. I've attached rear and side view pictures. This may be a little off due to uneven pavement, but I measured the ground clearance at about 26 cm at the end of the receiver, with the car pretty much unloaded.

I've already scraped the hitch a few times on the dips at the end of driveways, so yeah, you'll probably have to watch out for that. My parents suggested pulling in or out at an angle to prevent this.

Attached Files:

12. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That looks like you got better clearance than my generation 3 persona with 17-in rims and 215 tires I will say that that looks like my Corolla when it has a hidden hitch on it That's the brand name that's pretty much like all the other ones that I just usually get the hidden brand fairly cheap The Reese and tow whatever brand are all available they just prices are higher I actually try and shop and find them used

13. Bill Cossaboom

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank so much. Yeah, dang, we just don't need the 1500 lb towing version with square tubing and straight corners... still deciding. It's also not easy finding a trunk or roof mount for these guys! Any insights there by anyone also appreciated.

14. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Isn't the roof on that model more like an echo.?

15. Bill Cossaboom

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    /Like/ an Echo. I understand (could be wrong) it's not an Echo but a little bigger. Many of the rack manufacturers say "no model fits your car" even when they have Echo racks so I'm leery.

Attached Files:

16. Jakob

Jakob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well this U-Haul hitch has a square receiver (1.25"), but it seems to be designed for bike racks and maybe a luggage carrier, not towing. It's certainly not a 1500 lb capacity hitch. Ground clearance could be a nuisance but I think it's the best option I've seen. Roof mount would maybe be better, but I don't know what our options are there.

I find the body style is most similar to the Camry XV30, but yeah, it's probably similar to the Echo as well.

#16 Jakob, Sep 1, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
  17. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I just meant for roof racks it looks like that would be a real close call and the echo or the Camry XW whatever I would think those racks would be able to fit your car with almost no modifications I mean it similar width and everything

18. Bill Cossaboom

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I ended up just doing the $64 Target trunk rack. Didn't want to dump $500-$750 on the hitch+rack. Appreciate you sharing your experience.

Bill

Attached Files:

19. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I don't know if I'd be standing 5:00 to 7:50 I bought the generation 3 hidden hitch for I'm going to say 1:30 came with the four bolts to screw it in and I already had the receiver but I don't do bikes that way anyway I prefer your method that you have here simply because of quick removal and there's nothing underneath the car that needs to be discussed. You can't tow the trailer but this is not what this is about unfortunately in the Gen 3 I had to be able to move stuff with a small trailer No way around it now I know a better way to do this without having the hitch running across the bottom of the car and still have the same load carrying capacity so great if I have to do it again I have it covered and it's way cheaper.

Bill Cossaboom likes this.
  20. Bill Cossaboom

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I saw on UHaul $250 for the hitch. Then the fancy Kuat rack for ~$4-500 likely. That kind of math rounded up for other stuff.