1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 1 (2003) receiver hitch

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Jakob, May 4, 2022.

1. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah I did have to shop around and all that but it just took me a minute online and giving my Prius as a 13 kind of old I guess stuff is starting to come down because these cars don't make it around a lot of owners usually two people have them and then they're destroyed or blown up or whatever. And now the way to do this was just posted on here the other day by maybe you by the little reeser hidden hitch just a little piece and then you bolt that onto your bumper with good u bolts grade 8 whatever and then trim your bumper foam and the business down and put your phone and bumper cover back on cut a hole where you just put the black hitch piece and now it almost looks like it was made there and it will probably honestly hold 150 lb tongue weight if not 200 your suspension might not but the rear bumper in its mount it shouldn't be going really anywhere That's how they used to be mounted on other cars for 30 years they were called the bumper hitch. Reese and everybody made them I have one on my 02 Corolla

2. Jakob

Jakob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To me the big pro tip is to get the rack used from a local marketplace. For $30 from Facebook Marketplace I got a big hitch-mount Yakima rack in good condition, so I spent something like $375 in all (with UHaul installation). Seemed worth it to me, but looks like the trunk-mount rack will work well, and no ground clearance concern.

Tombukt2 likes this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes the flea market and Facebook marketplace or your friends for parts for an older car especially bike carriers and whatnot people throw those out you'd be shocked what I see at the dump and the recycle shed sitting there waiting to be picked up

4. Bill Cossaboom

Bill Cossaboom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Attached Files:

Jakob likes this.