1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 1 battery computer assay replacement

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by RathlinPhil, Jul 3, 2022.

1. RathlinPhil

RathlinPhil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    My gen 1 was reading 0 volts on three cells. I have the battery out and all cells are fine . It turns out that three pins are corroded and snapped in the multipinplug to the computer. Can I just replace the computer assay or is it coded to the vehicle? Thanks Phil.

2. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You can find a Gen1 battery ECU on eBay and swap it with the bad one in your car no problem. Might be worth finding out why the pins broke in the first place, it's likely the wiring harness is also corroded.

https://www.ebay.com/p/1753530318

3. RathlinPhil

RathlinPhil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks, yeah the pins were badly corroded. That's great if it's a straight swap of the pc and harness. There's a couple of second hand gen1 batteries on eBay, just didn't want to jump the gun incase the computers weren't interchangeable. Thanks.

4. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    For the money, if still available, a new Toyota battery pack is the way to go. It comes with new cables and wiring harness, but ECU, relay module, temp sensor harness, and a few other items need to be swapped over from the old battery before it's returned for the core deposit.