1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

gen 1 driven with battery safety plug removed.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by robert mencl, Jun 28, 2014.

1. robert mencl

robert mencl Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I read in the Haynes manual that this can damage the "Hybrid control ECU" , but that's the only reference the manual makes to this ecu...where is it? Car drives poorly and the screen is not showing charging to the HV battery. Thanks, Robert

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The hybrid vehicle ECU is located on the floor, passenger-side. If the orange safety interlock switch was not properly locked, the car would not run at all.

Does your car show any warning lights or icons? If not, I suggest you start by checking the basics on the engine: oil level, engine air filter, engine and inverter coolant level, iridium spark plugs. Clean the throttle body interior and throttle plate.

robert mencl likes this.
  3. robert mencl

robert mencl Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hi Patrick, thanks for taking the time to help!
    I'm a newbie and I think I screwed up...
    I read in an earlier post that if there is a problem with the hybrid system you can pull the orange battery plug and just drive on gas..which I did, and drove for about 30 miles with the plug out. I don't think the car can start that way, it was running when I pulled it.
    Now I see in the Haynes manual that can ruin the "Hybrid control ECU", tho the manual makes no further mention of such...and I am wondering what I might have fried, and where it is located, and if it is a different module from the engine control unit.
    After "taking it upon myself" to pull the plug, I no longer see on the monitor energy flow to or from the HV battery. HV battery bars are low.
    My ICE runs fine.
    Prior to pulling the plug, car has drivability problems normally associated with a bad battery- judder, low speed, triangle, exclamation, main, brake idiot lites.
    Have checked all cells individually out of circuit about 7.87v then checked under an 8 amp load after 1 minute drop was consistent at about .20 v with recovery to about 7.77v. on all cells.
    Any further advice here, other than to keep my cotton pickin' hands off the orange plug?
    Thanks, Robert...02 Prius

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If your car still has warning lights on, then use Mini VCI to retrieve the logged DTC, and post them.

5. robert mencl

robert mencl Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    HV battery serviced, car runs right, good mpg, no warning lights in 500 miles..I was just paranoid, thought I might have fried the HV ecu or something, I was generating power and no battery to receive it but it's fine..gonna use this spare HV computer for a book end..
    I did get a mini vci on your advice, Thanks Patrick