1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 1 headlight removal, for inverter pump

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by landspeed, Apr 30, 2021.

1. landspeed

landspeed Active Member

Hi!

sorry this must have been asked hundreds of times before (a Gen 1 inverter pump replacement sticky would be awesome; I can make one once I find out how to do it!)

On YouTube videos I now need to ‘wiggle the headlight out’. The top screws are removed; the hidden screw behind the bumper is removed.

The headlight wiggles in all directions but moderately substantial force doesn’t help at all!

I’ll try more force; does anyone know the knack to this (once the hidden screw is removed)’to wiggle the headlight out?

2. landspeed

landspeed Active Member

Ok figured it out and will delete this thread on my laptop later!

3. landspeed

landspeed Active Member

OK I can't delete this. So : when removing the headlght, there are the two screws on the top, another screw sideways hidden by the bumper (you have to drop the bumper an inch or so to undo that bolt). Then the headlight can 'wiggle' freely, but there is a plastic 'clip' which unpopped with a fair amount of force, and clicked in easily afterwards.

If there isn't a Gen 1 inverter pump replacement thread (with all info in one place), I will make one with videos and pictures shortly. I still need to bleed my system - so will video that process first.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you're bleeding the inverter coolant on a Gen 1, you've got the setup with two bleed valves, with one of them being on the suction side of the pump.

I don't know if you've read this post already, but it might save you a bit of time.

landspeed likes this.
  5. landspeed

landspeed Active Member

Thank you... The coolant flows well, but I can hear bubbles inside the inverter; I will read the thread (I didn't know the two valves were different!); I'm not using my car properly until this job is done!

6. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I've done a few of these now, and my problem is always those hose clamps. The hoses are too short to let you pull the unit out to get pliers on the clamps. Once you do, fluid goes everywhere. At best, it's a 3-handed job. Instead, I use vise grips to clamp off the hose after pulling the pump out as far as I can. The pliers also keep it from going back in and free up my two hands to get at the more exposed clamp. The solution, of course, is to buy the proper hose clamp pliers for about $40; but, I've always got it done with a bit of cussing.

7. vaughnstark777

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I