1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 1 losing brake fluid

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by jhknight, Jul 21, 2012.

1. jhknight

jhknight Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    seem to be losing brake fluid from the area of the ABS system and it dripping down on the brake lines underneath. anyone experienced such a leak? Noticed this when draining excess oil from the engine (dealers!!!!). Are the mechanics blind? Im thinking this has been leaking a long time. I have the worst luck finding a reputable mechanic anymore and if I can't trust a dealer...

2. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  3. jhknight

jhknight Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yep, photo 3 is EXACTLY what I saw underneath! Looks expensive? I've never gotten a code, just a brake warning light. The dealer topped off the fluid and sent us on our way probably never looked for a leak.

4. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It seems to me, there is an o-ring that leaks at the base of the accumulator on that brake booster. I have seen the electric motor part stop working, presumably from being soaked in brake fluid. I have not yet experimented with replacing the o-ring by itself, which is something towards the bottom of my list of things to do. So far I have disassembled a failed brake booster. The o-ring is not hard to change with the booster removed from the vehicle. I just haven't had a chance to see if a brake booster will still work after having the o-ring replaced.

5. jhknight

jhknight Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So possibly by having the leak checked now I might save the pump?

6. jhknight

jhknight Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, dealer says it'll cost $2,000.oo buckarooneys to fix !!!!! Dammit.
    Can this pump be bypassed or is it part of the ABS system? The brakes are overboosted on these things anyway, just wondering what it would be like to drive without boost?

7. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is where the power in your power brakes comes from. I have driven a Prius without one, not fun. Plus no re-gen.

8. electrontechnik

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just changed my transaxle fluid and took a look up behind the firewall while I was there...mine's leaking as well, and I have 105k miles as of a couple days ago (just got back from a 2800 mile round trip). Shortly after I got the car, the brake light on the dash was illuminating on corners and hard braking. I just recently added fluid and it hasn't come on since.

9. jhknight

jhknight Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, I only have to add brake fluid once every couple months. Toyota tells me the leak WILL worsen over time. I have decided enough is enough, we're trading in the little Prius we have owned the past 4 years for a Ford Fiesta. I am impressed with the old Toyota; 10 years old and the interior and accessories are still perfect and working. But I don't have the time for problems like this which require three 90 miles trips to a dealer to resolve; one to diagnose, drop off, pick up. I live in the boonies here and need a primary vehicle with nearby service available. Hoping to get at least $2500 in trade. Good luck with your Prii everyone!

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Good luck but a few questions:
    • New or used Ford Fiesta with what mileage?
    • Transmission?
    • Typical, annual miles?
    The reason I ask is I just checked the 2012 Fiesta and it has similar passenger and trunk space. With the transmission we'll understand the change in mileage and the annual miles gives the estimated fuel costs.

BTW, I am one who believes all cars eventually reach their 'end of life' including our Prius. There comes a time when a major repair exceeds the residual value of the car and it is time to 'move on.'

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson