1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 1 p3006 issue need some help

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by kmc6566, Dec 2, 2015.

1. kmc6566

kmc6566 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a 2002 primus and got the p3006 code. Engine would Rev and got all the lights. I figured it was the battery and decided to get a Dorman replacement. I replaced the battery but turning it on I would get the p3006 code after a few seconds. no lights at that point. I would drive about 10 miles and would get all the lights and a second p3006 code. I would clear the code and it would get rid of lights and car would operate normally. sometimes the lights would come on and the brake light would also come on and the engine would rev. sometimes when that happened I would get code p3012. I have not called Dorman yet. any advice? could the battery be OK and it be some other problem? I thought p3006 was the bad battery code. thanks for any help.

2. Dion Kraft

Dion Kraft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    From the search on the internet in regards to this code - the battery has unusual levels and that causes the error.
    You need to call DORMAN and see what their service can provide you with the possibility for a RMA return.

3. kmc6566

kmc6566 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks. I will call them tomorrow.

4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    To save some time, I suggest you read through the Dorman warranty information first.
    Here is a link
    http://www.dormanproducts.com/DigitalAssets/Document/587-000_RCL.pdf

Notice #5 below. Make sure you have all the data ready before you call.

From the .pdf
    1. Check 12v battery under load. Vehicle requires 11.2v during starting to properly power all compute
    2. Check to make sure Orange safety disconnect handle is in the locked (vertical) position.
    3. Check trouble codes and clear to make sure they are not stored from previous battery
    4. Trouble codes P3011-P3029 are battery failure codes and warrant return.
    5. Trouble code P3006 without the above codes requires the Delta SOC PID from the data stream. If the
    Delta SOC is below 21%, the issue is not battery related, but could be caused by a failed 12v battery

6. Trouble code P3009 has to be set during key on/not ready to be battery related. Check by connecting
    scan tool, turn key to on position where instrument panel lights up, but there is no ready light. Clear
    codes and wait 30 seconds. If code does not reset in this mode, the P3009 is not related to the
    HV battery.

Dino33ca likes this.
  5. kmc6566

kmc6566 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am getting P3006 and also the P3012 code. Thanks.

6. kmc6566

kmc6566 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Start with background. Had 178K on the original battery when it threw codes and triangle of death. Engine was revving and overall just not running right. Looking at all the threads this made sense for the original battery to die at 178K.

I bought a Dorman battery and put it in. That one also threw out codes. I was getting P3006 and P3009 and P3012. I took car to dealer and they diagnosed it and said battery was bad.

Just FYI. According to the sticker on the battery it had been tested 8 months before I received it. So it's possible it was sitting on a shelf somewhere for that long.

I returned that battery and receive another Dorman battery. This was said it had been tested just a few weeks before I received.

Installed it and drove it for about 25 miles with no codes.

Then it too is now throwing the P3006 code. But so far that is the only code that it throws.

It shows up almost immediately. Within 30 seconds. Then it usually takes around 20 miles to get the triangle of death to come up.

I just find it hard to believe that I received a second bad Dorman battery.

I don't want to remove the cover and test all the modules because that will void the warranty.

Anyone have any ideas before I return the battery and get another one?

Could something else cause it to throw the P3006 besides the hybrid battery?

My 12V battery is only 1-1/2 old. It's one of those Optima batteries. And I took it out and gave it a trickle charge in the last week. So that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The P3006 is a NOT a ground fault. As Chapman points out, P3009 is ground fault. So having nothing to do with the original post.

P3009 means somewhere in the high-voltage path, there is a resistance path to ground. The car puts an AC signal over the high voltage lines and checks to see if it shows up on the car frame, the ground. Getting more than one is bad as it leaves sources:
    • Inverter
    • Motor Generator (MG1/MG2)
    There are high-voltage, resistance testers, MEGER, that can be used to fault isolate where the ground fault exists. But I want to give a third potential source, the HV junction box near the back of the engine. Rare, I remember one person who decided to wash their engine while it was hot. The wash water cooled the box and it sucked in a little water through the vent tube. Once does not a pattern make.

The usual source, 99% of the time, a battery module has leaked from a terminal seal and in damp weather, forms the resistance to trigger the ground fault.

Consider getting a miniVCI to look at the battery module voltages. A leaking module can unbalance the pack leading to a P3009, a more severe problem.

The other source is having a short develop in MG2 from a burnt (aka., burning) winding. With a miniVCI we can look for the symptom, MG2 temperature too high:
    • Normal - ICE temp > MG1 temp > MG2 temp
    • Failing - ICE temp > MG1 temp < MG2 temp (MG2 is shorted)
    Don't set your hair on fire but think about getting a miniVCI to run on a Windows XP (although some have gotten it to run on more recent Windows OS.) We can then see what the Toyota dealer sees and the folks here have a lot of 'lessons learned' experience to help.

Bob Wilson

#7 bwilson4web, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No manual in front of me at the moment, but are you sure ground fault isn't P3009?

P3006 was already identified upthread as module-to-module voltage variation, which I think is what I remembered too....

-Chap

bwilson4web likes this.
  9. kmc6566

kmc6566 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    By miniVCI do you mean this? MINI-VCI J2534 TOYOTA TIS CABLE

Just FYI. I found ants had made a home in the relay box on the right side of the car if looking at it from the front. The relay box that contains the relay for the horn etc. Could a bad relay in there cause the system to throw out P3006? Just wondering. Thanks for all the help. As soon as you verify the miniVCI I will go ahead and get one on order so I can give you better information to work with to try and help me.

ordered the miniVCI cable. Once I get it I will post results so hopefully the experts on the site can help me understand what all the information means to help diagnose the issue. Thanks again.

bwilson4web likes this.
  10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Look to see if "Xhorse" is mentioned as they were the original designers and makers of the cable. Then they got cloned.

Not there. This is why the miniVCI is such a useful tool. You'll be able to read out the 19 module pair voltages and temperatures.

Bob Wilson

11. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    +1 get a complete reading via TIS to check for yourself.

For the Mini VCI:

Option 1 Windows XP or lower: Amazon search for FOTGA Mini VCI $28 with shipping

Option 2 Windows 8 or higher: Ebay: Mini VCI OBD2 Diagnostic Tool Scanner for Toyota Prius C V PHV RAV4 EV Rush T100 | eBay $40

The two above may not work on Toyota's older than 2000, If you have a 1996-1999 car and want to use the TIS then get this last option that would work on all OBD2 systems of the Toyota brand and their subs:
    2015 Original Mini VCI Diagnostic Cable for Toyota Lexus Tis Techstream FW 2 0 4 | eBay $60

They all run the latest version of TIS 10.XX.

As far as the ant's nest, if the relay/s are compromised it would be the Inverter Coolant Pump and another code. In the ON position is the pump flowing?

12. kmc6566

kmc6566 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, pump is flowing. Thanks for all responses. As soon as I receive the cable and get the data from the car I will post it so we can discuss it. Should be next week.

13. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Outstanding!

Looking forward to your Data List

14. kmc6566

kmc6566 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just fyi. On way home I just got code p3030. First time I ever got that. Just listing in case that gives someone another clue while waiting for cable.

15. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    P3030 = HIgh Voltage Line disconnected/snapped???

WTD? who installed your battery?

Did you or they install a new Bus Bar with sensors? If old one was put back on, one or more of the sensors could be corroded and throwing this code.

[​IMG]
    Pic of a micro fractured sensor tab on a old bus bar

Again a TIS report will show which sensor is FAULTY. This is almost a definite source of our P3006 code
    [​IMG]

#15 DRACO, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  16. kmc6566

kmc6566 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I replaced the entire battery with a Dorman battery. Aren't the bus bars inside the battery?

17. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Under the cover, YES.

[​IMG]

That means the replacement battery's bus bar may be defective but your TIS report will confirm it.

18. kmc6566

kmc6566 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wonderful. I can't open it or it voids the warranty. Great I already returned the first battery they sent. Now it looks like I have to return this one too. I either have the worst luck or Dorman battery is junk. I guess I will be calling supplier on Tuesday to see about returning this one too. Sheesh. Good thing this is an extra car and we can do without it for another month.

19. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    But before replacing it, prove it with the TIS report, they will not be able to argue it. Especially since you did not open the cover.

Sometimes it happens Brother. Even with factory items, ask me how I know :-(

20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sometime such things are negotiable.

Bob Wilson