1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 1 PHEV Conversion

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by usnavystgc, Nov 3, 2011.

1. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Has anyone converted their gen I to PHEV? I'm thinking about the Enginer kit but I would like to know the real world mpg improvements it would provide. I drive about 6 miles (one way) to work with the ability to charge at work. It seems I would be able to virtually fire the oil company with the 4kw version (which is what I really want to do). Would it be possible for me to drive to work (and home) in EV mode or do I still have to "warm up" the cat converter for emissions purposes. I really don't care about emissions since I should be able to make it to work without the ICE at all. I do have a stretch of road about 2 miles long that is 55mph speed limit/expectation.

2. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have installed dozens of Enginer systems into Gen1 and Gen2's.

If you travel on flat terrain at below 30 mph you might be able to get most of the way in EV mode with a 4kwh system (don't even bother with 2kwh system) once the ICE has warmed up. You'll have to be very gentle on the gas pedal and you'll probably piss off people behind you.

Keep in mind the Gen1 has a much longer warm up cycle time than the Gen2 (no "thermos" in the Gen1) so a short trip 1-6 miles is very inefficient -- especially during the winter...you'll burn a lot of gas just to reach ICE operating temperature and it may still be running when you reach your destination. You could reduce warm up time a bit with an engine block heater and/or parking in a garage.

In general I don't recommend installing a PHEV system into a Gen1 unless you really really like your car and have low expectations. You will also lose a fair amount of trunk space since the Enginer box takes up a lot of usable room in the Gen1 (no hidden layer below the carpet like in Gen2)

If you really want an aftermarket plug in, best solution is to buy a used Gen2 and sell your Gen1.

If you don't want to do that right now you could install Enginer into your Gen1, then transplant the system down the road if you ever get a newer Prius...the Enginer system will work in all versions of the Prius with minor adjustments.

You should join the Enginer forum and ask other Gen1 owners about their real world experiences. http://www.enginer.us/f

2 people like this.
  3. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the info 3ProngPlus. Very straightforward and honest answer. You also included things I didn't even think about. I think I will take your advice and get a Gen II. I love my Gen I but, the technology is dated.