1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 1 PIP Resale Value Is Egregious

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Prius Five Guy, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Let's lubricate the brake pins just to keep it that way.

2. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'll be honest here. I have no idea what that it is. But, I'm willing to learn if you show me the way. (y)

Data Daedalus and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Part of the brakes. Something to do at the next meet up;).

Data Daedalus and Rebound like this.
  4. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bought my Gen 4 new for this exact reason. There is virtually no way to know the exact condition of a used car, especially a hybrid. I know the exact history of my vehicle since I do the maintenance and experience every mile of the car's life. Having a reliable car is as much a necessity as electricity, which strangely disappears rather than depreciate. Cars are not investments -- they are expenses with residual value.

#24 William Redoubt, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  5. trentofdestiny

trentofdestiny Master Finagler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I bought my 2012 PiP base for $32k and traded my 2011 model III on it, negative equity to the tune of $6k. Could've almost had the Advanced for that much :( was paying about $750 for a couple of years through TFS then refinanced and now am paying $450. I did have to pay about $3000 out of pocket in order to refi because the car wasn't worth enough. I have about 3 years left on the refi loan and owe about $15k ($9k if you don't count the negative equity). Then again, I do have 94k on it. But I plan to keep it a long time.

iPhone ?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    at least the fun has been worth the extra depreciation.(y)

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. trentofdestiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, and at least the dealer gave me the $1500 for the mods I had installed on the '11 (Eibach springs, Morimoto HID kit, Husky liners front/rear/cargo, blue tinted JDM side mirror glass, TRD rear sway bar, Valenti SB tails)

iPhone ?

Data Daedalus and bisco like this.
  8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good time to buy. Car demand is down right now.
    2012 PiP held high value for a good while...maybe 2 years ago folks still selling here for $21k.
    Since then the market for used cars has fallen considerably.

You may never see another plug-in with this PiP cargo space. For those who value very long EV driving range and are willing to sacrifice cargo space, go elsewhere (Prime).

9. trentofdestiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Haha I guess I should consider myself lucky, but I don't have that much cargo space in mine considering I always carry a donut spare, big orange Home Depot toolbox, and dewalt cordless vacuum around

iPhone ?

10. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Something in your brakes which needs lubrication.

mmmodem and Raytheeagle like this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The brake calipers need to be free to shift laterally, so they're bolted to pins, which are free-floating in a bracket. In this pic you can just see the head of a pins, and where the caliper connects to them:

upload_2017-4-2_11-12-39.png

And here's one of the pins removed, for cleaning and relube. I use Sil-Glyde Brake Lubricant. What you see there has been on there 3 years:

upload_2017-4-2_11-15-12.png

mmmodem, jerrymildred and Raytheeagle like this.
  12. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just keep the car for 10 years, then you don't have to worry about depreciation.

13. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes keeping the car does neutralize the depreciation. I did a 48month payment plan, so I've been free of that for a year. However, it doesn't make sense to go buy a new car at this point because the one I have has less than 70k. Once it starts looking shabby - and I've had a few more years to save some car payments - a new one might make sense. I doubt at that time it will be a Tyoter, however. There are now much better options out there. And in another 3 or 4 years, there'll be even more options.

14. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)I'm back driving my 2012 Prius Plug In Advance. Purchased new Jan 2013. Loved the car, but not the EV range. Leased a 2014 BMW i3 (Sept 2014) for 30 months and just returned it 2 weeks ago. Loved the i3, but again, even at about 80 miles EV, it wasn't worth keeping or getting another with 50% more range. My Prius was lightly used during that time, as I now have 19,000 miles, and 11 more payments on 60 month, zero percent financing. Still a great car, better this time around as I've lost "some" interest in EVs. Five hundred miles on a tank of gas, what was I thinking? Interested in the Bolt, but limited availability and current lease rates suck. I need to be content with what I have, but always looking for something better (in my mind). Even though I got a great deal on a 2012 closeout, I know I paid too much. Oh well, eleven months will pass quickly. No incentive to pay off early. I'm older and no need for a time consuming fancy or fast car.

1614.jpg

Jetsurgn, wjtracy and Tideland Prius like this.
  15. fatdawg

fatdawg Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't normally lease, but in 2014 they were practically giving PiP away. Go with 0% interest finance or lease, I put down $2500 at $242 a month with tax at 12k miles per year. Then I get the California rebate deal, I think it was $1500. I basically paid $10k in 3 years. I originally wanted to purchase the PiP, kind of glad I went with the lease.

Btw, the payoff at the end of the lease was under $17k.

16. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    $242 X 36=$8712 plus $2500 = $11,212 minus $1500=$9712. Add $17,000 to get $26,712. Not bad if you can keep your miles that low. I don't think I can. At the rate I'm going, I'll have almost 20,000 after my first year, which started the end of Dec. I just got my first tire rotation warning yesterday. (It came with new tires and oil.)

17. trentofdestiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree. However, if you are planning to buy your lease out, then you can go over the mileage. It doesn't actually make a difference until you turn it in.

iPhone ?

jerrymildred and bisco like this.
  18. Pasaman

Pasaman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Resale value might be egregious but the dealers are still charging a premium on the base models in my area. It's hard to find one much under 20k. Maybe can find a 12 or 13 for 18k.

19. fatdawg

fatdawg Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That was a part of the plan, I didn't care about miles because I was originally going to purchase at the end of the term. Luckily I didn't hit the miles and decided to go with a different vehicle. When I went to the dealer to return the car, they told me the trade in value was in the mid $15k.

I still like the car, I will eventually be hunting for another great deal on a used PiP.

trentofdestiny likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    26k in cali was outstanding!