1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 1 Prius as a hobby

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by ginkelvanmichiel, May 7, 2023.

1. ginkelvanmichiel

ginkelvanmichiel New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately we can start again. The famous Triangle is back. Today I did test the car with the obd dongle, and although the Dsoc went up to 41%, at the end of measuring/testing the difference between the highest and the lowest of the 19 blocks was only 0,14V. However: during the drive at two moments, it rocketed sky high to 1,32V and 1,35V. I don't understand how this can happen. After checking the stats it seems the difference is not caused by the same blocks...

Friday I will take the car to the shop which builds packs as their daily job, so hopefully they are able to help me out...!

Louis19 likes this.
  2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your modules are old and tired and are simply just running out of juice. Time to look at replacing if you want to keep this car going. You can use any NiMH modules from any Toyota hybrid that uses them, so look for a recently wrecked Toyota hybrid and buy the battery for as cheap as possible. Some models use fewer modules (e. g. Prius c) and some use more (e. g. Camry HyHi) than a Prius, so be aware of that. Double check that younger donor car uses NiMH as some use Lithium modules.

3. ginkelvanmichiel

ginkelvanmichiel New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    they were already replaced by gen 2 modules 2 months ago, whih were tested and balanced for me.

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Gen 2 modules are getting pretty old. Gen 4 Prius (NiMH ones) or late Gen 3 is what you should be looking for. Anything 5 years or newer would be best.

5. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    More often than not with gen1 packs, underperforming modules need to be swapped out before getting a battery that last over the long run. This is why remanufactured batteries are usually only as good as their warranty. It's difficult to get 38 perfectly matching gen2 modules, since they come from cars with smaller battery packs.

On a positive note, took the family out in the '01 Prius on a hundred mile Sunday drive last weekend, avoiding the highways and enjoying the countryside. Car ran like new getting 53mpg, not bad for a 20+ yo car.

Jakob likes this.
  6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The clutch was separately available, at least in the US, last time I looked.

It consists of the pressure plate, pulley, pulley bearing, and magnet coil, which I think were also available a la carte as well.

There's a thread here somewhere about changing it.

That said, I'm quite surprised to hear of a case where a proper clearance adjustment wasn't enough.