1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 1 Prius starts second try

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by jimamiller, Apr 6, 2019.

1. jimamiller

jimamiller Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just ran into a new problem when I replaced my battery last week with a greentec refurb main battery. I still have the triangle saying the battery pack is bad. I have no code showing on my reader.. Before the battery replacement I had p3006 and p3028. The car will not start when I turn the key. The car always starts (so far) when I turn the key a second time. Everything else seems to be fine. Once started the car runs as if it has a new battery. I am guessing the reset that was done when the new battery was installed did not work like it should have. I don't know how to do a system reset. I work as an electronic technician so I am familiar with the business end of a VOM. Do you have any advice?

Brian in Tucson likes this.
  2. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The system resets when you disconnect the aux battery, the one in the trunk. The best diagnostic system is to buy a mini VCI and a pirated copy of Techstream. Install in an old laptop, mine is an old XP Dell. Are you still getting codes? Any check engine light or other warning lights? A VOM is of minimum utility as are generic OBD scanners.

Welcome to the forum.

3. jimamiller

jimamiller Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought I had the problem solved by charging externally the auxiliary battery. It worked for awhile but the issue is back. I drive the car only on weekends as I have another vehicle for work. I bought a remy battery in May of last year and it looks like that is the issue again. Thanks for the help.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    put a maintainer on it