1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 1 serpentine belt replacement

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Octavius, Jun 29, 2012.

1. electrontechnik

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You know the funny thing is that on the invoice, there's no difference between list and sale price. I suppose it is YMMV after all.

2. joedirte

joedirte Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The invoice only list retail prices. But on their computer (which most locations have so you cannot see it) you can see both prices.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When considering new automobile pricing, we as consumers are used to seeing one nationwide MSRP for a given model, perhaps with regional variations for shipping charges, but in any event the list price is reasonably constant across the US.

With regards to parts pricing, I believe that you will find that if you look at a dealer which sells parts over the web (such as Champion Toyota in Houston) and compare the list parts pricing shown on its website with the "list" price quoted by many California dealer parts counters, you will observe a big difference. So, not only does the retail sale offer no discount from "list", but the "list" price itself is inflated way above the actual list.

4. Jonathan Bliton

Jonathan Bliton New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Could someone help me with which belt to order from the dealer. The VIN does not specify which one according to the dealer. There is a Bando and a Mitsubishi version. The Mitsubishi(99363-31120) is about $15 and the Bando (99363-91120) is about $25. Any thoughts?

5. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome Jonathan! I would use the Mitsu if you're buying at the dealer. Just FYI, the Bando is on closeout $3.46 at Rockauto. I've always had good results from Continental & Gates, Changing the belt on a Prius is relatively easy And belts are all pretty much the same--there are no magic rubber formulas.