1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 1 squeaky steering column

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Tc2468, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Tc2468

Tc2468 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    My steering wheel has a squeak when turning either left or right slightly from center.. I usually notice the squeak while stationary or parking. It's louder and more noticeable when it's hot outside. Anyone have this issue?
    Listening carefully, it seems to be coming from inside the steering column, not from linkages or joints from under the car.
    Can someone post a exploded diagram of the steering column components, perhaps it's just a U joint (tilt?) that needs some lubing to make it quiet.

2. joedirte

joedirte Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
  3. Tc2468

Tc2468 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yes, it has been done. I bought the car second hand a few months ago, and while I was at the dealer picking up parts ATF, gaskets, wheels bearing, etc... I asked them to supply a service record and asked also if all recalls had been done.
    The report they gave me is a little cryptic but from what I can make out my 2002 has had regular service its whole life and all recalls have been done.