1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 1 Traction Battery Modules needed.

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by FireFighterHill, Jun 8, 2016.

1. FireFighterHill

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Any member have some good modules laying around they want to get rid of cheaply? I need at least 7. Hoping to get ASAP as I need the get the car on the road soon.

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've got modules. 4 matched ones.
    7?? That must be quite a bad pack!

3. greasemonkey007

greasemonkey007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got 34. They were reconditioned about 2 years ago. I have since checked 8 core packs and not found a single good module. I'll need to to take a look at them before I could sell them.

strawbrad likes this.
  4. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yep, that is now the norm for Gen I modules to be total crap. And yes anything last tested two years ago needs to be rechecked.

Brad

5. strawbrad

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You still have some learning to do.

It is not a simple matter of "good" modules. Of course "bad" modules have to excluded. That would include any that have self discharged below 7.2 volts. They are junk that will not hold a charge and will have near zero capacity.

You really need to measure the capacity of your modules. Most of what I have tested the last couple of years have been in the 1700 mAh range. I have seen cars run on such low capacity modules. The exceptional outliers will have 3000 mAh capacity.

A 3000 mAh module is not a "good" match for a pack full of 1700 mAh modules. They will not play well together and the pack will soon fail.

All these numbers are way below anything I would use in a Gen II pack.

Brad

FireFighterHill likes this.
  6. FireFighterHill

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    You are right. I still have alot to learn. I'm still trying to learn how I can effectively measure the MAH of each module with the limited diagnostic tools I have available. Also how to do it safely with little to no chance of damaging the good modules I do have. Im hoping that balancing the modules with multiple charging/discharging cycles will put them all within a few hundred MAH of each other. While I want them matched as close as possible I do not have the time or money to throw at the car to get it perfect. How close in MAH capacity do they need to be to be considered acceptable or fair?

7. strawbrad

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Reaktor will do this for you. With just one it will take some time. Charging three in series at 1 amp for three hours works out to one hour per module for charging. At a 20 amp discharge to 6 volts each module will take about 6 to 9 minutes. A 20 amp 1000 mAh recharge adds another 3 minutes. So each module is going to need about a hour and 15 minutes on the Reaktor.

Do not over charge or discharge too quickly. A 1 amp charge for three hours is relatively safe. If the modules can't handle that they are most likely junk. Watch for heat and swelling. Program good safety limits in to the Reaktor.

I wish it was possible to cycle a 1700 mAh module a few times and turn it in to a 5000 mAh or even a 3000 mAh module. It just is not possible.

Brad

bwilson4web likes this.