1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 1 with P3100 and P3125

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Dirk, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Dirk

Dirk New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A rebuild from a right front collision. Inverter went back into strut tower and high voltage wire plug head and inverter plug socket (the orange stuff) were both damaged. I did not find any evidence of arcing. They have been replaced.

I never have gotten it to start. Recently took it to the dealership and the reports I have are

P3100 with info 310
    P3125 with info 327; 332

I have a list of the info, which says basically inverter current sensor issue on the P3125, and generator pwn line on the P3100

Any help would greatly be appreciated. I've been a mechanic for many years and a radio electrician before so I'll be able to follow your input.

Thanks

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Welcome new poster. The below info comes from Graham Davies' scanner manual. I presume it is accurate and perhaps helpful.

P3100 - HV ECU Malfunction
    3100: 310 HV ECU internal error. Generator PWN Line Connection Malfunction

P3125 - Converter & Inverter Assembly Malfunction
    3125: 327 Generator Inverter Current Sensor Malfunction. Open in generator inverter current sensor (V phase sub sensor)
    3125: 332 Generator Inverter Current Sensor Malfunction. Generator inverter current sensor V phase performance problem

I have no experience fixing any of these things, but have to guess that all is not as it should be inside your inverter. I hope that additional info gets posted here. Good luck.

3. Dirk

Dirk New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you. I have that information, and was hoping someone might have some information on how to diagnose the cause.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you replace the inverter?
    Usually DTC P3125 is resolved by inverter replacement. If you've already done that, then perhaps you still have a wiring harness issue?

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It sounds like the circular, plug and wires to the transaxle might have a problem, the generator power line. Also, there should be a plug on the front that may be the generator position sensor output. I'd take pains to remove everything you can to access the front of the transaxle and check out the wiring.

Bob Wilson

gkalexdc likes this.
  6. Dirk

Dirk New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The inverter was not replaced, just the damaged plug. I've found diagnostic procedure info on the P3125 ( I believe from TIS) showing which lines from the HV ecu to the inverter to check for continuity, and if good the recommendation was to replace the inverter.

I'll also with the inverter out now check the front of the transaxle.

Thank you both. I don't want to buy an expensive part as an experiment.

7. jk450

jk450 New Member

Good point.

You've been advised that P3125 is usually resolved by replacing the inverter. This is not necessarily true for the Gen 1 Prius. Even a cursory look at Toyota's service information for this code will confirm that there are multiple failure points.

You've also been advised to "check out the wiring" at the front of the transaxle. However, issues with those circuits are reported by a completely different code, so I doubt your present issue is there. Again, this is clearly laid out in the service information.

And many well-meaning folks who toss out ideas here are working from paper manuals. Toyota updates their service information regularly, and the online version is the most accurate. Since you're a mechanic, you'll know how to access that information.

You said the "orange plug" at the rear of the inverter was replaced. If so, then someone had to have disassembled the inverter; the part is not available separately, and cannot be switched out without taking the inverter apart. You may want to remove the lid from the inverter and take a good look at the components. Anything loose?

Also remove the circular metal plug at the front right corner of the inverter (two Torx bolts). Make sure the three bolts inside are tight. These connect the generator cables to the inverter.

If those bolts are not tight, that will affect current levels, and the inverter will report that to the HV ECU, and set a code.

8. Dirk

Dirk New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently aquired diagnostic info on the two codes from TIS and Alldata. The 3100 and subcode said simply "replace the HV ECM. This has been done with the same part number from a wreaking yard.

3125 diagnostic procedure on the sub codes says to check continuity between 5 wires from the HV ECU and the inverter. This was done and one of the five wires was broken. This was repaired and checked to have the < 1 ohm resistance as recommended.

At this point it will go ready and kick out again after a few seconds. Unfortunately the wise thing to do after these repairs is of course to have the codes pulled again. This costs me $100 a shot, so I'm undecided as to whether to purchase an inverter offered to me for $250 or pull the codes.

All wiring in front of the car was in tact. Inverter after replacement of the orange twin plug in back has correct and tight connections.

9. jk450

jk450 New Member

Unfortunately, not all of the information for this code is in one place in the manual.

Regarding that particular information code, you can find the following elsewhere in Toyota's service information:

"If the hybrid vehicle control ECU detects errors in the PWM signal, it will conclude that there is an internal malfunction involving the hybrid vehicle control ECU or line connections." [my italics]

Great, we have some progress. To review, you had an HV ECU code for a generator signal problem as well as an inverter code for a generator signal problem. Might the broken wire, rather than a faulty HV ECU, be the root cause of both codes?

I realize that others have leaned towards inverter replacement, but rather than guess, I think the sensible thing to do would be to record your data, clear the codes, and see what new codes you have.

How long has this vehicle been sitting without running?

10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In your OP you mentioned the inverter had hit the strut tower during the accident impact. Had you previously removed the inverter cover to inspect for damage? If you see damage then you might feel justified in replacing the inverter with a salvage part.

Otherwise I agree it would be worthwhile to have the DTC read again to see whether new codes have appeared.

11. Dirk

Dirk New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

The car has been sitting for two years. I get one bar on the display with key on.

The cut wire was labeled GIVB on the diagram from TIS between the inverter and HV ECU.

For me to check the codes would be another $150 for transport and reading.

12. Dirk

Dirk New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Both the top cover and the lower cover were removed for inspection and replacement of the orange two wire receptical at the back. Other than that being busted on one side, all looked good.

I get less response from the replacement HV ECU than the original one. I've seen a thread where it was necessary to clear the inhibitor after replacing by shorting pin 4 - 13 on the OBD plug for 30 minutes, but this has no success.

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

This may take a little searching but I believe our NHW11s will flash out the vehicle and engine error codes if the right pins are jumpered on the OBD socket. It has been awhile since I remember reading someone doing that over in "Prius Technical Stuff" but it may also be in my repair manuals. I'll check.

If I remember correctly, it won't flash the battery codes.

Bob Wilson

14. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I recognize you're not eager to spend $150 for towing your car and accessing the codes.

Given this issue of the immobilizer ECU not recognizing the replacement hybrid vehicle ECU, and jk's suggestion that the broken wire may well be the cause of both DTCs, why not reinstall the original HV ECU and see what happens.

gkalexdc likes this.
  15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I found on pp. DI-464:

1. "Using SST, connect terminals Tc and CG of the DLC3." (SST carries the OBD signals to where you can access them. Details below)
    2. "Remove the EMPS ECU with connector still connected"
    3. "Connect both terminals of the 1kohm resistor and LED circuit to terminals WL and PGND of the EMPS ECU."
    4. "Turn the ignition switch ON."
    5. "Read the DTC from the PS warning light."
    The diagram show Tc as the 4th signal on the short side of the OBD connector. CG is the 5th on the long side of the connector.

Bob Wilson

16. colonel570

colonel570 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Are you sure P3100 Is the HV ECU malfunction?

What is P3001 ? I thought that was HV ECU malfunction

17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Hi Colonel, I copied this from the miniscanner manual authored by Graham Davies, and I am confident that he did an accurate job transcribing from his sources. However, "sure" is a word with unique connotations.

P3001 is listed there as a battery ECU malfunction.

I have no doubt that others with direct access to Toyota's technical documents would correct these here if necessary.

1 person likes this.
  18. jk450

jk450 New Member

Tochatihu is correct. P3001 indicates a battery ECU issue. P3100 indicates an HV ECU issue.

1 person likes this.
  19. UKCLASSICPRIUS

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  20. lovemy02prius

lovemy02prius Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    02 - gen 1, TP

HELP !!!!! We have the same problem!!

P3125

I replaced my inverter & inverter coolant pump and same problem, starts and runs but no reverse & no drve

Quest::::

1.) wheres the HV ECU exactly ?
    would the HV ECU be the same part as the inverter?

2.) can someone tell me the exact diagnostic procedure info on the P3125 ( I believe from TIS) showing which lines from the HV ecu to the inverter to check for continuity

3.) pls also tell me (with the inverter out) HOW to check the front of the transaxle ? what to use what were lookn for?

The ? sounds dumb but when cars front wheels are off ground they should turn for drve and reverse correct?