1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 2 12v battery went from 12.8v down to 5.8v overnight. Just had it load tested yesterday.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Longinus876, May 27, 2023.

1. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wonder if this could be a DTC C1377 - the brake control power supply capacitor bank could be bad. It's the black box near the 12v battery.
    That O is a 0 (zero), and if you're getting a P0a80 then that HV battery is on borrowed time. Still the original OEM, and at how many miles?

2. Longinus876

Longinus876 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes.. The battery is on a smart charger most of the time and the lights and everything else are off. The car is shut down and the gizmos are apparently "sleeping".
    If it were a question of changing to LEDs..I would agree. I'd been thinking about doing that. I think that's a great idea.

3. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    See the link in post #16 for Gen 2 OBD2 scanner options.

How old is your 12v battery?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#43 Brian1954, Jun 12, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2023
    SFO likes this.
  4. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A little web searching suggests that dome lights are often either 6W or 12W, equivalent to .5A or 1A. Apparently the Prius is the former.

There are off the shelf LED replacements like this one:

(ack, link won't stick in post. Go to amazon and search for "Alla lighting de3022 de3175 LED Bulb 31mm")

which is a 1.2W device. That would be around 100 mA. Might not dim like a regular dome light, not that that feature is very important.

What is the point though? Unless a person leaves the doors open a lot the dome light isn't on very long.

Still, if we are going down this road, a circuit which would disable the dome light when there is adequate ambient light could save your butt while working on the car during the day with the hatch open.

Or maybe the dome light already turns itself off after a while even if a door is open? Not sure, never left one open that long to check.

Longinus876 likes this.
  5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes it does shut itself off. The map lights, if manually turned on, will stay on. The rear hatch light will stay on if the hatch is not closed well, a common issue and one where a led makes sense. The headlights will stay on if they are manually turned on with the car off.

An obd2 scanner will remain powered if left in the obd2 socket unless it has sleep mode based on lower voltage sensing. Typically aftermarket addons can be a source of parasitic draw as well. Particularly alarms and remote starters.

6. Longinus876

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you have a good idea there. I thought I checked all the lights but now I'm going to check them again. Thank you.
    I have a suspicion that 12v is not getting to the relays for the traction battery. I don't hear anything coming from them. I'm wondering if I forgot to plug something in or what. This thing is so complex that it will abort a startup for reasons I may not be aware of. Certainly the 12v battery is one of them. I changed that battery out as it was`10 yrs old anyway and life, being what it is, doesn't need any more excuses to foul itself up,
    You gave me a good idea. I'm gonna check it out. Thank you.

7. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hopefully you measuring amps and not volts now.

Realize you are working on one of the most complex cars ever made without the advantage of training, tools or experience. It is possible that one problem has become two due to mistaken assumptions.

Everytime you disconnect the 12v at the fuse box or at the negative battery, you will get high amp draw when you connect. Well over 25 modules are powering up each time.

If you have a new 12v battery now, forget about the parasitic draw until the car runs.

It does take a couple of Ready start attempts after reconnecting a 12v battery.

It is very possible the orange hv disconnect is not plugged in completely and or your fuse pulling has resulted in the wrong fuse in the wrong spot. Which can blow a small fuse placed in a high amp circuit, or leave a critical circuit without a fuse.

Finally, there is a very real chance your hv battery is bad especially if you still get the same code after installing a new 12v battery. Disconnecting the 12v temporarily clears the code, which you saw before, but the code will come back quickly after the engine starts for a short time. If the system realizes the hv battery is still bad it brings up the light show on the dash.

Orange HV Reconnect - Three Steps
    Prius_Gen_2_Safety_Interlock.jpeg

#47 rjparker, Jun 13, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2023
  8. Longinus876

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "Hopefully you measuring amps and not volts now."??? I don't understand that comment. Could you explain that?
    "Disconnecting the 12v temporarily clears the code, which you saw before, but the code will come back quickly after the engine starts for a short time. Until the system realizes the hv battery is still bad and brings up the light show on the dash."
    The problem is that the car doesn't start. I don't even hear the relays activating. They are not getting 12v power for some reason. Would you happen to know where the ECU is located. That might be aborting the start command for some reason.
    We'll get to the bottom of this...eventually...maybe.

9. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The contactor in the hv battery is not directly energized by 12v. A cpu in the battery assembly is on a network with other cpus like the ecm and pcm who are running the show.

#49 rjparker, Jun 13, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2023
  10. Longinus876

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, and it's buried under a ton of shit. I'm gonna go on the theory that it's fine and doesn't need my help. It's only a theory mind you. I hope I didn't damage it somehow. I tried to be very careful. I don't even have a code reader yet. Very confused about all of them.

11. Longinus876

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    what's good?

12. Longinus876

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Tech stream is best. After that, it gets fuzzy because they are all a little different, and it depends on what ecu you’re trying to read, and if there are subcodes.
    Torque, hybrid assistant, there’s a page in the technical forums with recommendations

14. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    All the way back in post #16 is a link to a thread that discusses Gen 2 OBD2 scantools.

Read the complete linked thread.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

SFO likes this.
  15. Longinus876

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Isn't that expensive though?

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Tech stream and the connections are cheap. Then you need an old windows laptop and a lot of tech savvy

17. Longinus876

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not that guy. I don't even want a Bluetooth connection. I need a unit that plugs in and has its own screen. I just today got the car running again after weeks of frustration and a new 12v that cost $330 from the dealer. Wife thinks we're rich. Saw a 12v from Walmart for $176. Nope....not good enough.
    Anyway, I'm not a techy. I'm old school. What do you think of Topdon or Foxwell and those? The Foxwell at the oil change place read the P0A80 but didn't break it down to subcodes. Not sure there were any. Didn't tell me which blocks were bad.
    Here's an idea: I get a decent code reader and, at the same time, try to learn something about the Techstream. I thought they what the dealers used.
    Any thoughts on the ABS light and the brakes sound crunchy from sitting in the driveway so long. Do you think that light will go off after a few cycles?

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That sounds like a good plan. I would find the thread on readers first.
    The crunchy brakes are just rusty rotors. You can wear it off by putting it in neutral at low speeds and applying the brakes gently.
    Lights are meaningless without codes

Longinus876 likes this.
  19. Longinus876

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for that. I feel better now.

bisco likes this.
  20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Techstream officially is $75 to buy an activation that is good for two days. You keep the software, and you keep whatever dongle you buy to use with it, but when the two days are up it stops working, until the next time you pay for another two days.

Two days of use will cover most weekend car repair projects, and $75 is definitely cheaper than going to a dealer one time to have them use their copy of Techstream and tell you what they saw. And it's way cheaper if during those two days you use it multiple times to try things out and check them; try doing that in multiple trips to a dealer.

So in that sense it's kinda cheap.

'Unofficial' downloads of Techstream that have maybe 'forgotten' how to check your activation status are, of course, even cheaper than that, but not everyone wants to go there.

As for the dongle you use for connecting it to the car, any J2534 dongle is supposed to work and it's up to you which one to buy, so you've got lots of choices, but the one Toyota tests with and recommends is around $500. There are alternatives around the $200 ballpark, and the $100 ballpark, and the $20 ballpark, depending on how interested you are in putting up with their quirks. The recommended one might be the only one that's really quirk-free.