1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 2 2008 prius front wheel Bearing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by let's fix it, Apr 16, 2023.

1. let's fix it

let's fix it New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My 2008 Prius is having wheel bearing noise. I have purchased the duralast gold wheel bearing hub assembly shown in the pic. i have seen some youtube videos, during the removal of the defective bearing I see people had to remove the retainer clip (snap ring) before removing the bearing and then they put it back after pressing the new bearing.
    As I have bearing assembly so I won't have to press the bearing first by itself.
    Now my question is how would I place the retainer clip if I have the bearing hub assembly? or for Gen 2 Prius there is no retainer clip for the wheel bearing hub assembly change?
    Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your picture shows a complete hub assembly, so there is no pressing out or pressing in bearings. You simply just remove your old hub assembly and install the new assembly.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Pressing and interference fits or for the old days That's gone now for most things You're installing an assembly essentially slides off and on Big nut goes out there to keep it all from sliding off while you're moving nothing much you need to do but make sure that nut is tight and all associated bolts that were removed are tight Don't even have to follow torque specs they just need to be tight these days

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ... where the exact meaning of "simply" depends on the amount of road salt used in your area.

Danno5060 likes this.
  5. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    What this guy said. do the job yourself but be prepared to never look at your wheel the same again, if ye live in a rusty climate