1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 2 2008 Prius - next stage of life?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Taeriel, Nov 30, 2019.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unfortunately, theyre really isnt any current thinking. most people here dont have the knowledge or capability or desire to go beyond the 1000w inverter off the 12v.

2. Taeriel

Taeriel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm probably going to sell the car and have been investigating the possibility of replacing the battery to sell as a functional car vs selling as-is. The other half of investigating the cost of replacing the battery is to get a good estimate of how much to reduce asking price if I sell the car as-is. May I ask why you think the cost wouldn't work in my favor to replace the battery before selling? I have been assuming that I would start with average KBB price for fair condition and subtract the cost of battery and combination meter replacement if sold it as-is. But maybe that isn't the correct way to think about it?

I agree that anyone purchasing it for a price such as described above would almost surely be doing so in a way that would promote some sort of continuation. Hopefully it wouldn't be to flip it with a refurbished battery of unknown reliability, as someone pointed out earlier in the thread. I would want whoever uses the car next to get a fair situation.

Bisco, thanks for the technician recommendations! Both SF and Berkeley are ~50 miles from where the car is currently stored. Ideally I'd love to find something a little closer to San Jose. But, I do have extended range AAA towing, and could use one of those to get the car up to either location if it comes down to it. I haven't had a chance to research south bay options yet... to top all this off, my house started having septic system issues this past week and that's been vying for my time. (With the alarm, in a rather loud and strident fashion!)

3. fragglestickcar

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Reconditioned Prii is a bustling industry in the Bay Area. As such, your buyer will be a professional who will essentially dictate the price. What with the septic trouble, I'd optimize for out-of-sight, out-of-mind with a quick sale to one of these potentially unsavory characters, and get on with your life.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I'm not familiar with the going price for either a Prius of your age and mileage with a failing combo meter and a dying/dead HV battery OR with one of which those issues have been addressed, repaired and replaced.
    Before I made either decision I'd do some investigating, and then just some math.

5. maximusdec

maximusdec Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would be interested in buying it as is if I was in your area. I wouldn't mind having another Prius