1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 2 2009 Very loud noise(sounds like no muffler) on start-up

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Liam howard, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Liam howard

Liam howard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hello everyone,

It’s March 16th 2020 and I have a very loud noise when performing a cold startup after the car sat for 48 hours. It sounds like either the muffler system was cut out of it or the catalytic converters was cut out. However, I checked them both and they are intact. I washed the car myself at one of those drive through car washes, drove it on the highway for about 15 miles then parked it for two days. I’m wondering if water has anything to do with it.

2. Liam howard

Liam howard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
  3. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Video doesn't seem to work.

So sound is there all the time (when engine runs)? If yes you just have to listen and look where it's coming from.

You can keep the engine running by putting the Prius in neutral (with parking brake on) when engine is running (just make sure that you have enough hybrid battery bars and turn the ac off). Don't do this for too long and drain the hybrid battery.

#3 valde3, Mar 16, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Go on you tube and search Prius Inspection it will show you the chicken dance to put the engine in inspection mode where it will idle continuously non stop. Just don’t drive it in that model

You should be able to find the leak.

Are you sure the cat hasn’t been stolen that’s becoming very common on G2s.

SFO likes this.