1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 2, 340K, P0304 misfire and engine knock; Dealer wants to put in a new motor?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by CaptainSparkle, Nov 24, 2022.

1. CaptainSparkle

CaptainSparkle New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hey Everyone,

I've got a Gen2 2005 Prius, with about 340K miles (odometer has the 299,999 problem :-/)

Driving down the interstate, the Check Engine light started flashing, so I went to pull over. As I slowed, a really large engine knock started. Since, I've only started it to get it onto tow trucks, and it was like a lawnmower: loud and shaky.

While Getting it onto the tow truck, it threw a P0304 misfire in cylinder 4 code.

Had the car towed to the dealer, (other mechanics were booked for weeks), and in pretty short order their response was "It has a knock, we recommend replacing the motor".

I've seen posts here talking about EGR cleaning, and replacing plug/coils as fixes for knocks and misfire codes. Is it possible/likely that my dealer is crap, and not checking any of those options? Or is it obvious when a knock is bad enough that the engine is toast? They didn't mention anything other than "has a knock"; so I don't know if they checked cylinder compression or anything else. It is possibly the dealer checked those things, but is communicating that poorly.

I was hoping lil' sparky would keep going another year for the market to cool down. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but have never done any serious engine work (I can replace hybrid battery cells in my sleep at this point though ;-P) Thanks for your input!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how is the oil level?

you can certainly do some more testing before making a decision. has it had all the proper maintenance?
    there is no egr on gen2

you can try swapping coils to see if the misfire code moves. take a look at the cyl 4 plug

3. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This might get more response in the Gen2 section.

4. CaptainSparkle

CaptainSparkle New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks! Oil levels were on the low side when it happened; but after it sat I'm guessing oil went back into the pan, and it was nearly full. I've followed regular maintenance and oil changes-- It does burn oil a bit, but no more than typical for a car of its age.

I'll move this to the Gen2 forum-- sorry for posting in the wrong side!

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    report yourself and ask the mods to move it

6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The check engine light on a Gen 2 flashes only for a significant misfire. First step would be to determine why there is a misfire code for cylinder 4. I have a 2008 in the family with 350k plus miles and it runs like a champ. I wouldn't replace the engine unless it's determined the knock is caused by engine damage, and not merely something like a failing sparkplug, coil or injector. (these 3 items cause 99%+ of misfire problems, with the sparkplug being the most common problem)

A non-firing or poorly firing cylinder often sounds like someone beating on the engine with a hammer and causes significant shaking and vibration. This could be a very simple problem.