1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 2 A/C compressor issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Randy Smith, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Randy Smith

Randy Smith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Recently acquired a 2004 gen 2 with 220k on it. A/C hasn't worked in 2 years for sure. Recently attached gauges and found system at zero psi. Evacuated the system @30"Hg for 30 min suspecting a leak. Closed off the gauge valves and it held 30" for 1 hour. Maybe no leak ? While recharging with pure r143a, no additives, system got to 90psi both sides on approx 6 oz. Compressor cycles on for 5-6 seconds, makes a fairly loud buzzing sound, then off for 10 then back on about 4 more times but no drop in low pressure or increase in high pressure sides. A/C computer throwing 21 and 76 codes. Bad compressor vs bad expansion valve ?

SFO and karmakid64 like this.
  2. karmakid64

karmakid64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    im not a mechanic but I have read in threads, when refilling, you need to add a special oil to the a/c system as well?

SFO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is it bad to run the compressor, even short time, without oil? This is something I always hand over to dealership, no clue myself. Anyway, here's some Repair Manual excerpt.

Attached Files:

• AC.pdf
      File size:
      3 MB
      Views:
    #3 Mendel Leisk, Jun 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    SFO likes this.
  4. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You only add the special oil(ND11), if there has being a leak. But if no leaks, and want to recharge the system, compressor oil, isn't needed.

5. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Totallebad running any kind of compressor system, without its oil.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It might be your compressor is overworking. Have you checked the condenser, if excess heat is coming out from within that location?

Can you just scanned the codes using a scantool, and post codes here? I know you have the 21&26. I don't get what they mean either.

PS: I hope that noise isn't suggestive of a knocked compressor.

7. Randy Smith

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, my thinking also but where did the r143a go ? Mystery. I have to find a scan tool and locate a gen 2 compressor and listen to it, I am a Prius newbie. I figure Winter isn't that far away !

8. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wao! Where did the r143 go? Then, you got a leak in the system, you got trace.
    The scantool would tell you what specific codes and faults you needed to limit your diagnosis.

9. Randy Smith

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Anybody know what the A/C compressor windings resistance should be ? I am thinking my noise is a locked rotor in the compressor as I am getting a err 76 which refers to compressor rotation load . I have been looking to see if there is a circuit breaker which would explain the 5 seconds on then off cycling.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Might be this:

upload_2018-7-6_5-52-1.png
    upload_2018-7-6_5-52-32.png Starts on page AC-111 (actual page number 2692) in the attachment with my previous post.

#10 Mendel Leisk, Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  11. Randy Smith

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    IMG_1381.JPG IMG_1382.JPG Thanks for the info, it's been a while but It finally pulled the compressor and as all expected it was a total meltdown inside. See attached.

And this is my question is all of this rubble through out the system ? I picked up a used compressor and tested it, (don't ask how) pondering next step.

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.