1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 2 Anti-theft alarm sks key programming?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JJ Pen, Sep 5, 2022.

1. JJ Pen

JJ Pen New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello!

This is my first time posting, I bought a used 2004 Prius pkg9 for my wife. There are some perks that aren't working like the passenger window won't allways roll up, the back left door won't always unlock. Not a problem for the cheap price I got.

However, after surviving the chicken gauntlet and getting a new amazon sks fob to unlock the doors and start the car the anti theft alarm still goes off whenever trying to unlock the car with one of the fobs. Not sure if it switches between using different fobs. sometimes I can get the door open and start the car before we wake the neighbors. But if the car doesn't unlock before the anti theft is tripped, then I have to wait several minutes trying every possible unlock lock, hold next to door sks with both fobs idea possible.

Any ideas on how to... calm the car down? Something must have happened and now has PTTD (post traumatic theft disorder) I think the car has been in an unreported accident for the amount of exterior trim pieces I've had to pop back in and the missing fender liners on the front.

Can I program the car to "accept" the fobs without making a fuss?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have you checked the 12v battery? Maybe that's just low

3. JJ Pen

JJ Pen New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have a bluetooth adaptor that says it reads the voltage. It gave me 10V two weeks ago and 8.5V this week. Could this be a failing battery(no visible corrosion) or the... alternator? not charging it? Haven't been driving it much lately so I guess I will drive it around. It has been on long highway drives four weeks ago so I don't see why the battery should discharge that much. Still gets 48mpg though :).

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You should get a decent digital multimeter and check voltage at the underhood jumpstart point (in the underhood fusebox). With the car OFF, a fully charged battery should measure at 12.6-12.8V.

Batteries degrade, it wouldn't surprise me if your battery is bad. Get it charged, tested, and replaced if needed.

You should drive a couple hours per week to maintain function of your car. At least get a AGM compatible trickle charger and keep that hooked up and plugged in for the 12V.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.