1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 2 Battery Balancing - Max mAh met

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by hybridman, Dec 21, 2017.

1. hybridman

hybridman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am balancing the Gen II modules from my 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid battery... same module as the Prius, but there are 34. Anyway, I cycled all of my 34 battery modules 3 times each and only one hit the 7500 mAh limit that I set on the charger. It discharged to 6.3v and then it quit charging after hitting that limit on the first charge cycle. I tried it twice... same thing both times. My question is, what does that mean? Is it a really good module or does it need to be replaced? It took ~4200 mAh to discharge and it was reading 8.95v when the charger shut off. The initial voltage reading was 7.87v. For comparison, the majority of the other modules were 7.86v - 7.88v. A related question is what measurement does the charger use to determine when the charging cycle is complete? There is a DeltaV setting, but it is set on "Default".I'm not sure what that setting does, but I assume it has something to do with how the charger determines when to stop the charge portion of the cycle. I am using the Reaktor charger 250W 10A by Turnigy.

2. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just trying to clarify what you are saying there. Do you mean that after it discharged to 6.3 volts that it will no longer charge at all? Like every time you connect it to the charger that it cuts straight out?

3. maverick1970

maverick1970 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your post interests me as there discussion of discharging the cells and recording the voltage and mAH. I have done that too.

My question.... What is an acceptable value after discharging a battery cell?

Example.... I discharged my battery to 6.0 volts at a 1 amp discharge. Attached is my data of all 28 cells. I have charted the mAH after discharge for each cell. I have a few low cells, but that depends on what the acceptable value is after a discharge.

Attached Files:

4. tri4all

tri4all Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    the rule of thumb is that anything above 4000 mAh is not bad. but you really should do couple more cycles, I suspect you will be above 5000 mah in most of the modules. some of your low cells many never recover.

5. kdfchannel

kdfchannel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    ----USA----
    hellos sir in your picture looks you have a hitec charger like mine for some reason mine keeps saying over charge capacity limit.