1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 2 - C1242, B1442, B2271 after replacing inverter coolant pump

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by I_auto_know..., Mar 5, 2023.

1. I_auto_know...

I_auto_know... Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This post is a continuation of
    Any ideas on how to proceed? sudden power failure while driving... | PriusChat

Last year, I had repaired our 2004 Prius which has 260K miles; the main hybrid battery was refurbished and the catalytic was replaced. The car had been running fine, averaging 38 -40 mpg.

But about a month ago, we had a catastrophic failure of the Prius inverter coolant pump. The car went completely dead while we were driving on I-95! The car was towed home. We couldn't even back it into the garage since the transmission wouldn't release into neutral and the tires were locked up.

This past week, with the generous help of the Prius Chat group, I was guided to and did replace the inverter coolant pump and got enough codes cleared so I could finally actually move the car and park it into the garage in further work. But we didn't clear all the codes.

So at the time of my last thread, on Thursday, things looked pretty hopeful:The prior thread, again is:
    Any ideas on how to proceed? sudden power failure while driving... | PriusChat

So on Saturday afternoon, we thought we would test drive the Prius just around the block. My wife thought the Prius was fixed -- so while waiting for me, she just drove the 2004 out of our garage. I wish I had been the one driving it out - because she reported that as soon as she started to move the car out, there was a very short but loud mechanical noise and then also the red triangle showed up. I am posting a shot of the Techstream codes for that. That first photo is obsolete since I charged the 12v battery.

Needless to say, I then ran the tester on it. Then I cleared the codes and drove the car around the block to see what would happen. The red triangle and the other codes reappeared. I cleared the codes again.

Overnight, I also recharged the 12v battery up to 13.2v. Before starting it today, I have 12.6v on the front jump point, which I have since scoured to get a better voltage reading.

So right now, these are the codes that remain (no Red Triangle related codes at this time):

The second Techstream shot shows
    C1242, B1442, B2271 and (B1421, a daylight sensor which I'll ignore). I have not yet studied what the manual says about these, nor do I know where these things are located.

And I grabbed a shot of the MFD voltage report this morning, too.
    ============
    Here are some questions:

* could the inverter gotten overheated and have gotten damaged when the coolant pump failed?
    * is there a way to test the inverter for hidden damage (of what kind?) (it does charge up the HV battery, and does not appear to throw codes
    * Could the HV battery now be damaged (though those codes have disappeared for now)?
    * what next?

Old data (with 12v at 11.? v):
    red triangle codes.jpg

New data (Battery 13.2v, front jump recent Techstream codes.jpg

recent MFD voltage.jpg

Sality.jpg
    I would be very grateful for whatever insights and suggestions the Prius Chat users may have.
    Daniel

#1 I_auto_know..., Mar 5, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
  2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I might suspect that the P3000 and P0A80 are "merely" related to the battery being refurbished. Don't be surprised if they come back.

C1242 is the ABS ecu complaining about a power supply circuit. B2272 is the power source control ecu also complaining about a power supply circuit.

If you see a "snowflake" symbol next to a code in Techstream, click on it to view freezeframe data that has INF or sub detail codes and data from what the ecu "saw" when it set the code.

If you don't have it then you'll want to find a copy of the factory service manual- it has the diagnostic procedures for those codes

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

I_auto_know... likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  4. I_auto_know...

I_auto_know... Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you both again. I have good news. I rolled my sleeves up, and dove into the Prius repair manual, which I'd gotten for $20 from Rock Auto. Factory manual. I quickly realized that I was looking at 3 apparently unrelated problems for each of these codes.

I wrote down a list of things to check, and got a light and a mirror to look under the driver's side dash, to look for location of the power source control ECU. I thought I could at least start by checking AM1 and AM2 (which had blown in the last episode) and cleaning the connector plug of the PSC ECU....

I plugged in my Techstream laptop, and noticed that the two B codes were marked "hist".

I don't know Techstream very well, and I have yet to slog through the 5 part Techstream manual at
    Techstream user manual ( 5 x .pdf files) | PriusChat
    and have little experience with it, it took me till today to realize that these B codes were no longer of interest, and I could afford to clear them.

When they cleared, I noticed that each was related to AM2 in some way, so that is probably why they'd been thrown, at the time that fuse blew. An "Aha!" moment. I hope this datum will help someone else. The C1242 also mysteriously cleared....

Now cleared, I then reran the health check, and --to my great surprise, I came up with nothing. (See photo) Then...
    Cleared codes.jpg

since I am one for letting sleeping dogs lie (i.e., the C1242), and I will add to this if I continue to get codes. But for now, I've got to put away some tools, and make sure that that C1242 doesn't come back to bite.

Within minutes, I got the red triangle, but it rapidly cleared. This to validate the comment by mr_guy_mann.

So I am parking this thread here, and if I get the P3000 and the P0A80 pair again, I will probably put in the extra pack I personally refurbished, and start a new thread.

And I have another 12v battery I'd taken out right at the beginning of my red triangle encounters years ago, so I might put that back in and see whether it behaves better than the existing one.

For other readers, my experience on DIY HV battery refurb is memorialized in post $18 of
    Gen 2 P0420 P0446 C1259 C1310 HV charging problem? | PriusChat

Once again, ChapmanF and Mr_guy_mann, my hat is off to you for your persistence in helping me get my 2004 back on the road. Kudos

Daniel

#4 I_auto_know..., Mar 6, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
    mr_guy_mann likes this.