1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 2 engine rebuild thread.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Prius92, Apr 25, 2023.

1. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Luckily the block from a newer 1.5 Yaris is a direct match per Toyota so if worse comes to worse, I can find a bare low mileage yaris block for around $300.

Setting the valve clearances doesn't look fun at all.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's great if you're the factory and you have all the sizes of lifters right there.

For doing it in the field, I've always figured the best way would be if you could order 8 intake and 8 exhaust lifters in all 35 sizes in advance, use the ones you need, and then somehow get most of your $6k [$15k, I hadn't checked price in a while] back for returning the others.

Otherwise, the way such things usually go, you would get to that stage of reassembly, calculate the right sizes you need at each position, order those, 15 of them would be ready to pick up the next day and you'd wait for the last one a month while it comes from Japan.

Arts Automotive has a story a lot like that, except it was about preload shims for a transaxle rebuild.

#42 ChapmanF, May 1, 2023
    Last edited: May 1, 2023
  3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Seems convenient to have 2 heads. Plenty of extra shims!!

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    One of the things that maybe surprises people most about valve adjustment on this engine is that it doesn't involve any shims.

The bucket lifters are installed with no shims, and it's the lifters themselves that come in 35 different sizes (that's 35 for intakes, and 35 for exhausts).

If shims were used, it might be sort of more plausible for a busy shop to keep 560 on hand (16 ✕ 35). But 560 of the lifters themselves at $26.63 a piece starts to look like some money.

Yes, you would have 16 spare lifters from keeping a second head around. The only question would be, among the 32 lifters you then would have, would there be the 16 you need to get your valve clearances in spec?

#44 ChapmanF, May 1, 2023
    Last edited: May 1, 2023
  5. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think Toyota used to use bucket lifers with removable shims.

Anyway, here's some info from the dealership

1. The 04-09 Prius Block, just the block itself, will interchange with the 1.5L blocks from 04-06 Scion XA and XB, 03-05 Toyota Echo, and 06-10 Toyota Yaris. I am not sure why the newer Yaris 1.5 blocks won't work, they look somewhat identical.

2. One of the camshafts, can't remember which, will interchange with the Regular 04-09 Prius AND the Prius C 1.5L from 12-19. The other just fits the 04-09 Prius.

3. The crankshaft ONLY works in the 04-09 Prius. The connecting rods will interchange with the cars listed in #1. The pistons will only fit the 04-09 Prius 1.5. Same goes for the flywheel (no starter teeth).

4. The cylinder head, the head only, no valves, no camshafts will interchange with the vehicles in #1. The intake and exhaust valves will interchange with the vehicles in #1 PLUS the Yaris and Prius C 1.5L from 2012 to 2018.

5. So with this info, you cannot swap a head from anything but another Prius from 04-09 unless you want to adjust the valve lash and swap one of the cams.

The timing chain cover is also unique to the 04-09 Prius.

Maybe someone else can chime in on what changed with the block from the 2010 to 2011 Yaris is different. The bolt pattern of mounting, sensor location, etc looks the same to me. Since the bare head from the later yaris interchanges, the bolting of the head itself would be unchanged as well.

The Crankshaft pulley is Unique to the Gen 2, the Water Pump pulley is not.

Paul Schenck and SFO like this.
  6. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So there are several sellers on eBay selling re-manufactured heads, such as this.

Fullscreen capture 512023 63231 PM.bmp.jpg

..and they say the head is the same. I call BS. The camshafts are different on the Prius to achieve the different compression ratio. Yaris cams WILL NOT WORK.

Paul Schenck and SFO like this.
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In some other engines, maybe. Probably.

That's surely why it surprises people to find this one doesn't.

8. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unlikely if the HybridPit in LA would know, but then again you never know with those guys. The only other known person who has done this level gen2 cross reference and installation stuff is DivideByZer0 | PriusChat

He doesn't come on PC often, and may or not see the above ping, but I do have his number, or can do a drive by if needed.

Paul Schenck likes this.
  9. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Definitely, back in the 80's and 90's. Many years ago I would check valve clearance per Toyota's maintenance schedule. But it was always in spec. After a few years I stopped checking. Lotta cars went 200-300k+ without valve problems.

Don't recall when they went to one piece buckets. On account of I "never" have to go inside one of these engines.

The only time I ever had to "adjust" clearance on a Toyota was a 88 Camry that had a cylinder head replaced.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

10. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The belly of the beast! I almost crapped myself thinking I busted off a piece of aluminum near the bottom, but it's made that way in case the rear main leaks oil or the transmission leaks on the output shaft. It's oddly very coarse on that casting area.

The wiring harness gets in the way, but I'm not sure how hard it would be to disconnect it, there's still a bunch of connectors near the transmission area. I plan on spraying CRC connector cleaner in every terminal before connecting it, in case some dust/dirt gets in.
    Fullscreen capture 522023 83230 PM.bmp.jpg

This ground wire don't look good, but I highly doubt I could remove that bolt without busting it off. I might check it with an ohm meter. If it's not getting a good ground, I might drill a small hole near it with a self taping screw and crimp a new ground on.
    Fullscreen capture 522023 83301 PM.bmp.jpg

I'm also debating taking the transmission out, and putting the engine in first, because it's a hell of a lot easier to put the pulleys on outside of the car, than putting them on between the frame horn and front of the engine.

SFO likes this.
  11. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If head snaps off, carefully drill out the rest of the screw. You may be able to just use the same size screw, if not the next size up.

12. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Gasket kit came today and I'm a bit upset. The water pump and intake manifold gaskets are just painted metal. Which isn't OEM AT ALL.

There is also no rear main seal for whatever reason.

13. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Found some stuff cheaper on Rockauto close out.
    Fullscreen capture 532023 43158 PM.bmp.jpg

alftoy likes this.
  14. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Fullscreen capture 542023 63557 PM.bmp.jpg

Pic from the shop, cleaned and honed.

Isaac Zachary and SFO like this.
  15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Something that often works wonders with a very rusted fastener like that is straight-down impact on the head: not an impact wrench, that uses impact to turn it, that'll break it off, just a very repeated straight-down tapping on the head, while applying steady gentle counterclockwise torque the whole time.

There are air tools (for "seized fastener removal"), e.g. by Lisle or Thexton, that use that principle. They can tap down on the head a couple thousand times a minute, while you just gently lean counterclockwise on a wrench.

If you replace the ground screw, I'd recommend using another ground screw (one way is to go to the dealer and get the same replacement screw). They generally have rolled threads instead of cut ones, so as to make that much better electrical contact with the threads they are screwed into.

Paul Schenck likes this.
  16. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    While the engine will be another 1.5-2 weeks, took some pics of new parts today.

New oil pressure and temp senders. These are pretty universal across different makes, so I'm gonna have to see if mine takes the washer.
    IMG_9040.JPG

New main bearings, made in Japan.
    IMG_9041.JPG
    IMG_9042.JPG
    New Felpro Cylinder Head Bolt Washers
    IMG_9043.JPG
    Re-manufactured and flow tested injectors.
    IMG_9044.JPG
    IMG_9045.JPG
    New Denso Iridium TT plugs.
    IMG_9051.JPG
    New connecting rod bearings, made in Israel.
    IMG_9052.JPG IMG_9053.JPG
    New OEM rings.
    IMG_9055.JPG
    Also took the throttle body apart, cleaned it, and greased the gears with dielectric grease (recommended by an electrical engineer as it's plastic safe) .
    IMG_9056.JPG
    IMG_9057.JPG

Attached Files:

17. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So in so far, on just the rebuilding parts alone I have about $430 in it, if I had ordered the rings from Rock Auto when they had them in stock, it would be closer to $390.
    Labor from the engine shop is prob going to be around $400, this is doing the valve lash adjustments and assembly myself.

Prior to the pandemic, Prius engines ran about $300-$500. Today, most lower mile (under 150k) Prius engines average $950 within several states of me. A place like LKQ (the network a lot of reputable shops use for used parts) charges around $1100-$1300 for a tested lower mile Prius Engine.

I think since the pandemic, it may be a better deal to just rebuild your engine. Especially if you have a secondary vehicle to provide for the downtime. Especially if you have a Gen2 in an area where rust isn't common and want to keep yours going a long time.

Paul Schenck likes this.
  18. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welp another delay.

Toyota FSM mentions the main "service bearings" having "claws". Wth is a "service part?"
    From the factory engine, the main bearings don't have those claws.

Fullscreen capture 5162023 45801 PM.bmp.jpg
    The bearings I received from Mahle/Clevite have these claws.
    Fullscreen capture 5162023 45621 PM.bmp.jpg
    Problem is, the tab/claw that sticks out, when installed pushes on the crankshaft, to the point it won't turn by hand, at all.

These are the main bearings depicted by DNJ, note no claws.
    Fullscreen capture 5162023 45724 PM.bmp.jpg

There is no way, short of using a die grinder to notch the block and main bearing caps, that these will work. So it won't be until Friday before I get the correct main bearings.

19. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here is what main bearing caps look like that have those notches. This is from a Toyota 2005 Rav4 2.2L.
    Fullscreen capture 5162023 51711 PM.bmp.jpg

Now look at ones from the 1.5L in the Prius.

Fullscreen capture 5162023 51806 PM.bmp.jpg

There is absolutely no way those ones from Clevite would work, and I'm going to have some words with them tomorrow...

Paul Schenck likes this.
  20. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's....VERY odd. Those tabs are there only to make sure that the bearing inserts are properly aligned during installation. That's all.

I have never seen any automotive engine that did not have the corresponding receiver notches in the block or rods. (learn something new every day)

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.