1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 2 Engine Replacement help!?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Falloutfreddy, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Falloutfreddy

Falloutfreddy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    my name is Fred and I am trying to replace an engine for a 2005 Toyota prius. I am a back yard mechanic and have done multiple jobs on this vehicle. Anything from brakes to replacing the main 28 cell battery that runs the car. Can someone please help me find a DIY guide to replacing the engine component of the vehicle. The car randomly slowed to 25 mph while on the highway. Got it to a shop. It's spewing out oil and the engine is damaged beyond repair per the dealer. Looking for any help I can get in regards to repair. I know the toyota tech info for 15 dollars. But I'm not interested in buying that as I am a cheap piece of crud and am minimizing cost. Thank you to anyone who is even willing to read this.

2. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is not a common repair and therefore I doubt there are many people who could offer assistance. I certainly cannot, although I have replaced many dozens of engines in everything from a weed trimmer to large construction equipment, this I have not done.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This strategy will make you rich as long as you don't miss anything or make any mistakes that cost $15 or more.

-Chap