1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 2 engine swap into Gen 1

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by WadeLovell, Feb 9, 2017.

1. WadeLovell

WadeLovell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    3prongpaul did a lot of work on this at one time but I don't see there was a resolution.
    Yes, I have searched the forum.
    Yes, I have read every related post ever written.
    Yes, I realize there are differences in parts, valve timing, etc.

No, I don't see there was ever an attempt by a qualified individual or a write up of their successful or unsuccessful attempt.

My Prius Classic has 250,000 miles on her and she's throwing P0390 and P0391 codes (weak engine, won't start). She has ~75,000 on the new factory battery pack. Plus, she is a blast to drive. I'd hate to throw her away.

So, am I limited to 2001-2003 versions of the engine or can I expand my search to 2004-2009 engines? I know. I know. I read it on the internet... One engine rebuilder on eBay (OK, there, I said it) shows 2000 {sic} - 2009 compatibility for their long blocks. I expect that is an invalid data point. Come on fellow enthusiasts, what's the best way for me to stop being Stranded in San Diego?

Thanks in advance,
    Wade