1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 2 Epic Failure--Dealer Perplexed--Need Real Help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Aaron K, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Aaron K

Aaron K New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is my first post. I'm a proud Prius owner of a 2007, purchased in 2009 with 40k miles. It's been awesome. I've had all regular maintenance performed and it has 225k miles on it. I just got back from taking it from TN to FL (1,900 miles round trip) and had a cargo carrier on hitch PLUS bike rack on hatch. Yes, I was one of "those guys" but it was impressive. Still averaged 36.7 mpg!!! If I can attach a picture for entertainment I will...

Ok, back to my problem. I had just driven to work via interstate with NO issues. After about an hour being parked I hopped in my trusty Prius and pull out in traffic (so I punched it--as much as a Prius can go) and I felt a buck and then immediate deceleration. I did not feel or hear the combustion engine any more. The dash lit up like the Vegas Strip but I was not excited like I was on the strip, more like feeling I just lost my pot of money at the craps table! Ouch. So, as I manoeuvred from center lane to side of the road the car maxed at 30mph and I literally watched the battery go down a bar every 20-30 seconds. There were 2 bars left when I turned if off and then I waited about 30 seconds and tried to restart to see what would happen and if engine would crank or attempt to...no luck. Car would not move and all lights were on. Called a AAA tow truck and had an entertaining ride to the Toyota dealer. That was over 1 week ago...

Fast Forward...the Toyota dealer (after having for 6 days--but we did have ice/snow and half the city shut down for 3 days in their defence) told me that their diagnosis is: it's the Hybrid System--need to replace battery for $3,600. OUCH! Not being a true mechanic myself and resorting to common sense, I asked several questions...
    1) How do you know hybrid battery is bad? Could it just be a bad cell or investor or fuse?
    2) Can't you charge battery or connect another to test engine and/or determine possible problem that caused battery to be depleted because combustion engine stopped?
    3) Should I bend over now?

There response was that hybrid battery was so depleted they couldn't diagnose or pull all the codes. Like I said, I'm not professional but doesn't the 12V pull codes? As I remember, I replaced that myself last year after not unlocking the hatch before disconnecting old battery and having to crawl out front. Yes, I will admit to it, lol. Also, they said they had to call a Master Toyota mechanic to ask about this situation since they've never seen it. After discussing with him they said battery needs to be replaced first! I don't know if I agree...

My questions:
    Any ideas on what could be the true issue? I've researched DIY hybrid battery rebuilds and found an awesome guy in Miami who was very helpful. Unfortunately we are 1,000 miles away. In the meantime I bought a 2015 Prius V but really need to know whether I should try and repair ole trusty '07 or sell? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Here's pics of what a Prius can do! My wife and 2 large dogs were inside:

IMG_7811.jpeg IMG_7807.jpeg

#1 Aaron K, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

The hv battery could be depleted enough to prevent operation.

I would seek a second opinion ;).

Not sure in the Nashville area, but are there any hybrid specialty shops?

One member here has owned several Prii (@Aaron Vitolins ) and lives in the same geographic area :).

He might be willing to assist or have Techstream.

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There’s a member here who is selling a new type of hybrid battery for $1600 which has brand new cells,

Or go on Craigslist and see how many bandits that will repair your battery for $500 and then a month later
    It will fail again. Ir you can do it yourself. But the main issue is there are no new cells available for a G2 battery so when c3lls are replaced they are old and used and have been charged up.

Or buy the battery from the dealer and install it yourself. You will save aLot of money.

Lastly how much engine oil does the engine use? How many quarts of oil did you use on your 1900 mike trip?
    If the engine is worn out and it needs a new hybrid battery may be too much to take on.

Aaron K and Prodigyplace like this.
  4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The dealer's only option is to replace the battery as a whole unit with a new one.
    How do they know that it is not just depleted but still OK? I believe they can get a grid charger from Toyota to recharge it, but probably big $$$.
    How do they know if it is the HV battery? Were there any trouble codes? If the battery was too depleted to give codes, they are only guessing.

If it is the HV battery and you were DIY, I would recommend the new cell kit from 2K1Toaster that I list in my signature as your best option for $1600 including shipping. You keep the old battery so you could recoup some of your costs by selling that.

Definitely please keep us posted.

Aaron K and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. Aaron K

Aaron K New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Raytheeagle! I'll see if I can connect with him.

Prodigyplace and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I’m sure if you try a private conversation and talk real nice to him you might be able to make some headway ;).

Hope it works out and keep us posted(y).

7. Aaron K

Aaron K New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Appreciate the information. I found a guy that sells hybrid batteries in Miami who was gracious in sharing information even though I was too far for him to sell me one. He's got some for $600 with a 1 yr warranty and $999 with 3 year! However, even he said he'd try and charge battery enough to determine what caused engine issue or transaxle or whatever the initial problem was...I do like the 2k1Toaster option you mentioned. Thanks. For now I'm trying to see if I can do a a possible charge with a RC charger. Any experience in using one or more for HV batteries?

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Depleted is not a good thing for an older HV battery.
    You might call Toyota USA and see if they make you a better deal on batt replacement.
    Apparently they have recently reduced cost of the battery itself (not counting labor).

Prodigyplace and Aaron K like this.
  9. Aaron K

Aaron K New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very good point(s) Edthefox5. Thank you.

As per oil, she hadn't really been burning much at all--no visible leaks either. I've been surprised at how solid this car has been, especially with 225k!

10. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just to clarify (for my own understanding):

• You were on the freeway and at cruising speed
    • You went to accelerate then the issue happened
    • Now when you try to start the Prius you get nothing
    • The car does not “ready”
    If the car displays the ready light, that means the 12v is supplying enough to get the computers booted. If the battery charge is too low, have you tried force charging to see if the battery SOC increases?

Just some things to check before you deep dive into high voltages;).

Keep us posted (y).

11. Aaron K

Aaron K New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the info.

12. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @2k1Toaster works with rechargeable batteries for a living so he was able to source cells that perform well. There is another seller using the same brackets with cells rated the same, but they do not perform as well in the real world.
    The remanufactured batteries may be a low cost option if you do not expect to depend on the vehicle. Even with the warranties, they can fail at any time. The warranty usually only means they replace the battery but you need to pay for installation.

13. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Aaron! My name is Aaron and I live in franklin too! I've onwned many prii over the last 4 years. I have reaplaced a hybrid battery on my Prius all by my self, even cleaned a few hybrid battery fans over the years.

I'm down to help you in any way that I can. I'll help you change the battery if that's the route you want to take. Let me know!

uart, SFO, Beachbummm and 7 others like this.
  14. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you Ray!

15. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You da man (y).

Prodigyplace likes this.
  16. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I love the member 2k1toasters new and improved hybrid battery. I would love to get my hands on that puppy! Very fair price too.

17. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They could perhaps sell their old one to @TMR-JWAP so he could test & use the modules not yet failed.

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sudden loss-of-power when accelerating, maybe the inverter?

No codes from the dealership?

m.wynn, padroo and Aaron Vitolins like this.
  19. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Epic failure=yet another gen 2 HV battery failure. :whistle:

Anecdotal data here suggests to me this summer, when batteries are stressed the most, will be "when the levee breaks" in terms of gen 2 failure rates. This winter has been busier than I thought.

Since the OP has a new ride, they need to determine what they want to do with 07 as that will determine the next step: new, used, or no battery (sell as is). See the link in my sig to see what I did when confronted with a failure.

Aaron K and edthefox5 like this.
  20. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I appreciate the thought, but keep in mind I don't build or sell HV batteries using Gen 2 modules. All the GEN 2 HV batteries I build/sell/install are built using Gen 3 modules, and even Gen 4 now. Speaking of which, I still have that Gen 2 (built with Gen 4 modules) available and will be in the Gatlinburg area next week................2013/2014/2015/2016 modules also available.

jerrymildred, SFO, m.wynn and 2 others like this.