1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

For Sale Gen 2 HV batteries with 3 year guarantee

Discussion in 'Private Sales' started by TMR-JWAP, Sep 3, 2018.

1. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I keep my eyes open for low miles, late model Prius/Lexus wrecks. If available, I purchase the HV batteries. The modules are all individually tested to verify capacity and then used to build ultra-reliable Gen 2 HV Batteries. These batteries are also built using NEW busbars, wire harnesses and main cables purchased from Toyota. Personally, I'm not into trying to clean the original sensor harness-busbars due to the high probability of damaging the sensor wire terminals. The battery cases are not new, they are used cases from previous customers Gen 2 batteries.

I currently have two batteries available. Each has been installed in my 2007 for several days of real world driving, including hard acceleration (high discharge rate) and hard braking (high regen rate).

One is built using modules with a manufacture date code of 24YQ which is November 24, 2015. These were from an HV battery removed from a wrecked 2016 Prius with ~9.8k miles. This one is available for $1500 installed with 3 year guarantee + the old battery.

The second was built using modules with a manufacture date code of 097P which is July 09, 2014. These were from an HV battery removed from a wrecked 2015 Lexus with ~19k miles. This one is available for $1400 installed with 3 year guarantee + the old battery.

Included in the replacement is:
    1. removal and cleaning of the fan ducts, installation of a clean/tested HV cooling fan if desired, or basic cleaning of yours.
    2. testing of your 12v battery using an electronic 12v battery tester, which will provide CCA capacity of the battery compared to new
    3. techstream health check of the car prior to HV battery swap.
    Not included in the replacement, but available for $150 is installation of a new Toyota inverter cooling pump.
    Not included in the replacement, but available for $80 is changing the Toyota WS fluid in the transaxle

Obviously, extra services are also dependent on availability of space to perform the work.

I am located in Columbia, SC. I have travelled as far as Raleigh, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Charleston, Knoxville, Savannah, etc. If you're within a four hour drive of Columbia, you could be in my range.

SFO, ILuvMyPriusToo, m.wynn and 2 others like this.
  2. Cody26

Cody26 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have 1000$ for the first one. I live in Raleigh.

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Cody,

I appreciate your interest.
    Unfortunately, I have more than that into it.
    Low mileage, late model batteries are not very cheap and are going higher every month, it's hard to even find one (that meets my criteria) for under 1k and then throw in shipping or the time involved to get it. Typically, in order to get a price around 1k each, I purchase at least three at a time to make it easier for the supplier to work in a bit of a discount. Even then, many will not come off their price due to demand.
    Then throw in days of individual module testing.
    Then throw in new harnesses, cables, etc. from Toyota.
    Installation and a week or more of testing in my car.
    Now throw in a full day for travel and installation and a 3 year guarantee.

I try to price all my batteries at reasonable levels based on my cost for the battery. There isn't much wiggle room. These are essentially some of the best Gen 2 batteries available (other than new OEM) and priced better than what most (reputable?) rebuilders charge for their basic models. Here is an example. This is a fairly reputable company and apparently does a lot of business. I'm sure their batteries work just fine.

Green Bean is right in your area and for $1549 will install:
    (Here's a direct copy and paste from their website......)

Premium reconditioned Green Bean hybrid battery for a 2004-2009 Toyota Prius & backed by our 5 Year Unlimited Miles Warranty. Direct fit replacement for all 2004-2009 Toyota Prius hybrid batteries. Installation included in the battery price; see the Free Mobile Installation tab for more information on our service area.

• Premium High Capacity / Low Internal Resistance Reconditioned same capacity as new OEM cells or modules.
      • Upgraded ECU / Green Bean upgraded reconditioned ECU with our proprietary upgrades to prevent certain ECU failures
      • Nickel Plated Bus Bars / Premium quality nickel plated bus bars. We replace the bare copper bus bars with nickel plated units.
      • New Hardware Throughout / New zinc plated nuts and bolts for all electrical and structural fasteners.
      • Live Testing / at full vehicle load to ensure quality and functionality of every component.

Now, in regard to line 1, Nowhere does it mention what year these modules are. It's probably safe to assume they are 04-09. I just question how used, Gen 2 2004-2009 coded module can be "same capacity as new OEM cells or modules". Somehow, my opinion is that may defy the laws of physics/chemistry/etc. for NiMH batteries....
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that if I took new modules from a new OEM HV battery pack and tested them side by side with any random refurbished 2004-2009 date code module, I would like to think the new modules would squeak out the win.

Line 2...ok. I can believe it. Some ECUs have corrosion issues on pins. My ECUs are thoroughly inspected for that issue. Maybe there are other issues they correct that I'm not aware of.

Line 3...ok. They nickel plate the bus bars. I install a complete new OEM sensor harness/busbar assembly and new power cables.

Line 4...ok. They install brand new screws and nuts. I use the ones from the 2015 battery if they are in excellent condition, which is almost always. If not, I have boxes of stainless steel fasteners I can use. No battery gets assembled with mix/match nuts and bolts.

Line 5...ok. They have an electronic load they can use in house to load the battery as desired. I have an electronic load that can pull up to 60 amps for load testing individual modules during my module testing. I install each assembled battery into my car for at least one full week of real world testing which includes full throttle acceleration and full power braking that will make your eyeballs want to pop out of your head.

After installation, I go for a ride with the owner driving. I let him/her drive however they like. They can even act like Mario Andretti if they want, including hammer-down acceleration and slamming on brakes if they want, while I monitor the battery via techstream. I even bring my OBD device and my android phone to show them some apps that are available for monitoring their car.

4. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't need one (obviously) but I think it's great that you keep your eye out for these gems. I know it is a lot more work and time than you make it out to be and is rather thankless. So thankyou for the Prius community. (y)

WHCSC and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. chelvis

chelvis Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I purchased a battery from Jim a few months ago in June for my '05. I drove down to NC from NJ to have him install it outside my friend's condo complex. He is punctual, professional, thorough and provides an excellent service. He also replaced my battery fan.

I made a good choice in buying a battery from him and would endorse this as a reasonable alternative for HV battery replacement.

Thanks, Tom

SFO, ILuvMyPriusToo and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. Stimp

Stimp Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Checking on these to see if they are still available? Please send private message if possible to discuss anything further. I'm located in Raleigh.

7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Stimp,

They are both available. It's been a pretty hectic month for me at work, so I haven't done any advertising other than this forum listing. We have our project close out meeting at work Friday, so my life should become much simpler and less hectic around 3pm Friday. I'll be leaving here in about 10 minutes and heading home. Should get there around 11:45. I'll probably be up until around 1. If you want to discuss, you can give me a call at xxxxxxxx tonight or tomorrow. I'll check-in here more frequently also.

Jim

#7 TMR-JWAP, Sep 25, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    Stimp and Raytheeagle like this.
  8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Previous post was an error. Deleted my contact number from the post. I'll probably start getting a hundred robo-calls a day more than usual now.....Was a long day of getting my butt whooped at work and I thought I had done that message under the 'conversation' tab.

9. loudes13

loudes13 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Were donor cars 2014 & 2015? How do these go into '04-09 second gen's?

10. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    loudes13,

The donor cars were a 2016 Prius and a 2015 Lexus.

Imagine if you had a flashlight that you bought somewhere between 2004 and 2009. It's your most favorite ever made, because it fits your hand so perfectly. It uses an oddly shaped, custom NiMH rechargeable battery that is only made by one company. Unfortunately, it's about 10 years old and your battery is now worn out and won't hold a charge anymore. The company that makes that oddly shaped custom NiMH battery does not offer it for sale, but you found out they use the exact same battery in a new model flashlight that you don't like. You buy the new model flashlight, remove the battery from it and throw away the new flashlight body. You then install that battery into your favorite flashlight. Now your old favorite is just like new again.

This is what I do. I purchase the entire battery assembly from a late model, low mileage wreck. I remove the 28 battery modules from the new model case and install them into a Gen 2 case, along with some additional new Toyota components. And there you have it, as close to new as could possibly exist, without being new.

(there is quite a bit of testing performed on the modules prior to building the Gen 2 pack)

Kris_Parker likes this.