1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GEN 2 HYBRID BATTERY NOT CHARGING

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BOGGINBLAZER, Aug 23, 2021.

1. BOGGINBLAZER

BOGGINBLAZER New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey all

i have had this car for about a year now major issues. until this so my hybrid battery is not charging fully. its hard to bring it up to 3 bars (light acceleration) then it just drops back down again(driving normal keeping up with traffic). battery cell voltage seems good as in balanced across all of them. but the car has lost acceleration. it came to my attention a few weeks ago. while driving around thought nothing of it but that it was odd that the battery got down to 2 bars. so my first thought was hybrid battery went dead. but that looks good replaced coolant pump 3 months ago, coolant is full. thought it might be the battery cooling fan, it works and was dusty so i cleaned it.

anything else i can try?

2. BOGGINBLAZER

BOGGINBLAZER New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    EF4BB7CA-918C-480C-BAC5-B4043C798174.png This is my battery voltage per cell

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What symptoms are you experiencing other than loss of acceleration? Any warning lights on the dash? Are you blasting the AC when you drive?

What maintenance have you done on your car?

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

How many miles on the vehicle?

Is the HV battery still the original, or was it replaced with something else?

BOGGINBLAZER likes this.
  5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is an opportunity for another great experiment. I can't for the life of me see Milwaukee being a high temperature area, so I doubt the battery is reducing it's limits due to temperature. Twice now, I've run into Gen 2s that were getting reduced mpg, just acting weird, yet no codes. Both solved with replacing the transmission control ecu for $18. I hate to just say throw a part at it, but it would be interesting to test it again. Takes only 5 minutes to replace since it's mounted directly under the lower glovebox.

SFO likes this.
  6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Where can you get a transmission control ECU for $18?

SFO likes this.
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That would be interesting, given that the transmission control ECU's one job is to move a pawl in and out of a Park notch.

8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Interesting.

Assuming proper protocol, one would disconnect the 12v before the procedure. That can resets things and can make computers relearn things. Could that be a factor?

9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm not always a protocol follower in regard to disconnecting the 12v battery. Neither time on these swaps did I disconnect.

Here's the first one :
    Prius won’t get over 30mpg after new engine installed | Page 5 | PriusChat

They're available all day long at salvage yards. I just found out today the Atlanta South Pull-a-Part has 20!! Gen 2s that have arrived since the last time I was there. They have 7 Gen 1, 20 Gen 2 and 1 Gen 3 currently in the yard.

#9 TMR-JWAP, Aug 24, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
    SFO likes this.
  10. BOGGINBLAZER

BOGGINBLAZER New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    so i am have sluggish acceleration. I was getting 45 mpg average now I'm getting 36mpg now. the AC is on all the time never turn it off. The ac is hot when i first start driving then cools down after a while. when the car is parked and running it takes a long time for the ac to turn on now. No new warring lights. Though, when this first happen I was driving to work and got a danger low battery warring. it just happen 1 time. Ever since then i have been very carful and baby the car. also the car has not codes.

as for maintenance. oil changes new breaks all around. new tires, new hvac blower motor. new quick struts all the way around. not maintenance new sony radio, limo tints, soon to have subs.

The car has 254000 on it now it seems to be the oe hv battery. i would have to check to make sure.

#10 BOGGINBLAZER, Aug 25, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2021
  11. BOGGINBLAZER

BOGGINBLAZER New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    where do you find this part for $18.00 i have seen it rebuilt from rockauto for 249.00 plus you have to send it back in to get rebuilt.

12. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just about any pull-a-part

13. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Given the mileage, now would be a great time to self recondition the HV battery using a "grid charger", either build one or buy one.