1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 2 Key fob missing button needs repair

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by JohnStef, Dec 15, 2022.

1. JohnStef

JohnStef Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2008 smart key fob came to me with the top button missing. I can see the bare circuit board. Can this be repaired? I have spare fob parts, Could I use the contacts from the spare and try to actuate this?

The fob is not fully functioning, when the remaining buttons are pushed the red indicator light does not blink. The unlock button works but the lock button and emergency button do not. Lastly, the wireless portion for starting the car with the fob not inserted into the dash slot works only when I hold the fob in my had - it has to be touching my skin - then the car will start with the push button.

#1 JohnStef, Dec 15, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2022
  2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Perhaps a picture? Can't tell from your description what the actual condition is.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. JohnStef

JohnStef Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ok here is is

Attached Files:

bisco likes this.
  4. JohnStef

JohnStef Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ok here is is, and it has a fresh battery

Attached Files:

5. mr_guy_mann

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ok. I don't know the extent of the damage to your fob. I suspect there might be corrosion somewhere on the circuit board since the SKS proximity functions are not 100%.

Minimum you need someone with tools and experience in "microsoldering" to remove components (like the button switches) from the donor fob and solder them to yours. Very delicate work.

If that's your only "working" fob, then you can't use it to add another new fob. You have to press both lock and unlock on the current fob for the "chicken dance", and maybe for the scantool procedure as well.

If you do anything with swapping the shell from the donor fob to your current one, remember you have to swap the RFID chip as well. It's a little plastic rectangle set in the plastic of the shell (it's the part that does the work when you put the fob in the dash slot- completely separate from the SKS.

JohnStef likes this.
  6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Someone burnt that or something like with a cigarette ash or stuff from a bowl something looks like it's been melted Don't know if the green board got to see the high temps or not or if it just messed up the black plastic could be somebody who picked at it too That's not from regular wear and tear and droppage it that's for sure. I'd be looking replacements . There are a couple of angles to skin this cat some are expensive some not too bad

7. JohnStef

JohnStef Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    mr_guy_mann your comment about needing this button to pair a 2nd fob is my motivation! Or I go the "All Keys Lost" route, and that is a little threatening to me. The only scanner I have to do this is the ThinkDiag+. It has All Keys Lost in it's menu but I have not tried it.

8. JohnStef

JohnStef Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Could you elaborate on the "not to bad" options?

9. JohnStef

JohnStef Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can I jumper the two contacts as shown to simulate pushing the button with no harm to the electronics in the device? The idea is to make momentary contact with a small "paper clip"

Attached Files:

10. mr_guy_mann

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I missed your updates.

The ThinkDiag "all keys lost" is likely the same as TechStream- you would erase all the present keys then need to get a "seed code" for your car. Searching the posts here indicates that one needs to buys "tokens" for some site in Europe, then use 1 to generate a seed. That code is calculated on the site's server, and based on a long ID code you read from the immobilizer ecu during the procedure.

On your damaged fob. Using something metallic (conductive) to bridge those two points on the board should activate the lock function. (If the red LED flashes- you should be good). Might have to bridge 2 "gray" solder points from left side to right (just outside the gold points on your pic). You just have to be able to do it reliably while pressing the other button within the time limits of the procedure.

#10 mr_guy_mann, Dec 23, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2022