1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 2 Prius Exhaust pipe diameter?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by GeneTherapist, Apr 20, 2019.

1. GeneTherapist

GeneTherapist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hi guys,

I seem to have misplaced my measuring caliper. Does anyone know off the top of their heads what the exhaust pipe diameter on the Gen 2 prius is? Need to repair the pipe that connects the mid pipe to the tail pipe/muffler.

Oh, and tin snips would be the safest way to trim the rusted portion of the pipe?

Also, anyone know where I can buy just the complete piece of pipe between the resonator/midpipe and the muffler? That would be ideal. Muffler looks to have been designed to fail at the pipe rather than the muffler, so it's still in great condition.

NortTexSalv04Prius likes this.
  2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I don’t have the dimensions, but see parts catalog Figure 17-02, Exhaust Pipe, for the service parts available from Toyota dealers. The exhaust pipe is sold in two pieces, connected by bolted joints: the tail exhaust pipe assembly (17430-21580), which includes the muffler, and the front exhaust pipe assembly (17410-21500), which is very expensive because it includes the three-way catalytic converters. The gaskets are non-reusable.
    I wouldn’t try to cut an exhaust pipe, even if much of it is rusted away, using tin or aviation snips. There are special tools for this (e.g., Proto JFP770), or with the part removed from the car, you could use a tubing cutter, bandsaw, or hacksaw.

NortTexSalv04Prius likes this.
  3. Nozzavtr

Nozzavtr Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I measured the circumference of the pipe on the diagram at the part labelled 17430, and it's 4.5 inches if that helps.

SFO likes this.
  4. lunacyworks

lunacyworks Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The pipe from the Catalytic converter is 1-7/8" ID and 2" OD from what I measured.