1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 2 Prius - INLET Radiator hose question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cavesearch, May 1, 2017.

1. cavesearch

cavesearch Junior Member

Hello all,

We own a 2007 Prius with 183,000 miles. I am an experienced DIY'er. The car has had no significant issues other than a defective combination meter which was replaced under extended warranty coverage. At that time, the inverter coolant and pump were also replaced (under the recall). About 3 months ago, we got the check engine / P1121 problem. I decided in the interest of continued reliability to replace the 3-way coolant valve, the ICE water pump and gasket, the thermostat and gasket, the pump drive belt, the SLLC coolant, and the radiator inlet and outlet hoses. As of today, all work is completed except installing the inlet (upper) radiator hose and the new coolant. Need help determining hoe to best access the engine end of that inlet hose, which is buried under the inverter coolant reservoir. How does one get to it?

Thanks so much for any help. I'm hoping that Patrick Wong will see this and chime in, as his posts have helped me immeasurably in the past.

- Rick Murray

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Rick,

I haven't felt the need to replace the radiator hoses on any of my Prius so I don't have first-hand experience with that specific task to draw upon with regards to your question.

If you can see/feel the radiator hose clamp on the engine side of the hose, then maybe you can use a hose clamp pliers that has a flexible cable leading to the plier jaws, when removing the clamp.

If you cannot see or feel the clamp at all, then you probably have to remove the inverter for access. At that point you might decide to put off the hose replacement a bit longer, as I did.

If you squeeze the hose rubber and find that it remains pliable without any cracking evident in the rubber, then you should feel comfortable keeping the hose in service.