1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 2 Rear Wiper EXTENSION

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Kwyjiboi, Oct 27, 2022.

1. Kwyjiboi

Kwyjiboi New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok. That title was a bit of clickbait. I have an idea for a mod that I'd like to bounce around. I've been frustrated at the tiny amount of real estate that the rear wiper in my '05 wipes. And the fact that it wipes off to one side triggers some sort of OCD in me. I've been thinking that if the wiper was straight, and not offset like it is from the factory, that it would actually offer more visibility since much of the presently wiped area is fairly useless in terms of rear visibility. This could be increased further by increasing the wiper blade size in addition to a straight wiper mod. I've masterfully rendered an approximation of what I mean.

STOCK:
    STRAIGHT WIPER:
    COMPARISON:

The difference doesn't seem huge, but I've been annoyed during a rainy drive that I couldn't see very well into that area. A whole wiper arm+wiper is $20-30 on amazon. I don't know how universal they are, so that much would be a bit of a gamble.

I'm aware of the steel wiper arm mod but ordering one from overseas sounds convoluted when there's likely a domestic equivalent that bolts right up. It doesn't bother me that the plastic ones can't be lifted up fully without removing the plastic clip. I find I can lift it well enough for snow/slush removal and cleaning.