1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 2 TPMS sensors compatible with Gen 3 (PiP)?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Sarge, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I will soon have a '14 PiP to replace my loyal Gen 2 2006, being sold for parts. :unsure:

I am thinking of keeping the alloy rims to roll my winter tires in style :cool:, which of course have TPMS sensors, which still work. A couple questions;

- are these sensors from a gen 2 compatible with a gen 3 TPMS system? (I presume yes)
    - what is needed to program the computer to reprogram the sensors seasonally? I believe I would need a minivci cable (available on eBay) and the software to load in my laptop, which I believe can be downloaded free? Is it complex to program?

Aside from looking nicer, having a low-cost option for a second set of sensors seems like a no-brainer if the sensors are indeed compatible and reasonably easy to reprogram with the tool, particularly since the PiP doesn't have a spare.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. se-riously

se-riously Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My thoughts as follows:

1) If it isn't easy to reprogram the TPMS (I've only seen references to Techstream or a specialized programming tool), then I say forget reprogramming. Use black tape over the dash light if it bothers you.
    2) Since you have two sets of tires, keep one extra in the car for a short term spare if you do indeed encounter a flat, or simply transfer the mini spare from your 2006 to your PiP.

3. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Thanks for the reply.

I am planning to keep the emergency spare as well, I just didn't mention it here since it wasn't really relevant to the topic.

Living in Canada where we get snow, I have owned 2 sets of tires in rims since I started driving 22 years ago. The last 10 years I have had the TPMS in my Gen 2, and have simply ignored the yellow light in the winter :cautious:, since I didn't think it was worth spending the money then, and hey, I had a spare anyway.

(I did however learn years ago the light would clear if I sat in the driveway near enough to the summer rims tires piled in the garage for about 30 seconds to a minute, until my next commute. I also know it comes back on once it has not received a signal for precisely 50 minutes (odd timing choice), and worked as a measure to know if traffic was better or worse than usual, judging by when it started blinking.:LOL:). Yes, in Toronto we sometimes have to find amusement in depressing things like accepting an 80-minute commute as 'normal' or 'hey, it ONLY took me an hour today! Sigh, I would go crazy, if not for the fact I have always enjoyed driving. But in digress....

Anyway, I agree that buying more TPMS sensors plus programming charges can be ridiculously expensive (compared to the 'old fashioned' check your tires!), seems buying a tool that will help me twice a year for the foreseeable future, $150-$180 seems like a reasonable price. Not to mention our other car is a Leaf, and may also make use of it (if we put TPMS in the winter tires, depending on cost, but for similar reasons (no spare)).

Has anyone here had experience with the Ateq QuickSet TPMS Tool? I see it in Amazon for C$180.

(Not sure if forum rules allow me to post a link to a site like Amazon...)

Thanks.

PS - @se-riously - my wife and I visited San Fran in April for a mini-vacation for the first time, what a beautiful city. Got to see Pier 39 and Alcatraz, and were very impressed. Also, Prius everywhere, as you know. :LOL::cool:(y)

#3 Sarge, Jun 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think they (Gen2 and Gen3) are probably compatible.
    Go to the Denso OEM replacement TPMS on Amazon and give your vehicle info and it should tell you if it is compatible with both vehicles.
    Yes mini VCI w/ Techstream can be used to enter the TPMS codes.
    See my Managing TPMS thread on Gen2 for video stolen from Youtube.

Note that Techstream cannot read "unknown" codes, so you need to know the codes and hand enter via Techstream. But you can use Techstream to read the codes that somebody else previously hand-entered for the tires currently on the vehicle.

#4 wjtracy, Jun 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2016