1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 2 versus lightning bolt

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TMR-JWAP, Apr 14, 2022.

1. Billy Hansen

Billy Hansen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OH MY GOSH THE PRIUS JUST STARTED :eek:

I was causually researching the codes late this evening when I found out the P0A0D was for the red hybrid battery plug. I plugged it in twice earlier, but totally didn't realize it needed to pushed down after clamping it in. After it was fully seated in, I tried turning on the car, andddd... nothing. Just the same old warning lights. So I cleared the codes, rescanned the ECUs just so I could see the P0A0D disappear. Once that was done, I restarted the the car and this time heard the clicking from the hybrid battery andddd... READY! The engine started for the first time in a month and a half! And boy did it sound rough for a hot minute there. But it's WORKING!!!! :D GAH I'M SO EXCITED!!!!

I drove the it down the street, which was really challenging because the skid control ECU is hanging in front of the gas peddle still, lol. When I parked it, I noticed my headlights were still on. I grabbed the switch, but it was set to off. I restarted the car, but still couldn't get the lights off. They were turned on and off just fine earlier, but whatever. I just disconnected the 12v battery because I really need to head to bed. All of the other codes are still up so there's still way more work to be done.

At least I can drive this menace to a repair place now if I need to!!! WOOT! Thank you SO much for those troubleshooting steps, mr_guy_mann!!!

#41 Billy Hansen, Jun 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
    CloudJumper likes this.
  2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Try these

prius srs1.jpg prius srs2.jpg

I would also check all your connections at and near the 12V battery, esp for the ABS capacitor (black plastic box with wires near the 12V) and the small wire to battery positive (might be related to the DC-DC converter perf code).

Otherwise, tackle things one at a time. (some of those codes are "hey there's something wrong in another system"). I don't know what data is in the body ecu for headlight control.

4. Billy Hansen

Billy Hansen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks so much again! I'll tinker with all of that and let you know what I can work out!

5. Media_Tech

Media_Tech Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not quite curious enough to read my policy or call my agent, but shouldn't damage from a lightning strike be covered by the comprehensive rider of a standard auto insurance policy?

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Comprehensive coverage is an optional add-on, not required by law. It is required by nearly all finance agencies, but lots of people drop it on old paid-off cars. I'd be dropping mine too, but for the wave of catalytic converter theft.