1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 2 weight distribution / suspension / brake test

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Agent J, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Agent J

Agent J Hypoliterian

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just sharing a recent suspension and brake test done to my slightly modded gen2.
    Lots of interesting information gathered that could be a reference point to similar setups against
    actual mileage. Would've loved to see a similar test done on a stock gen2 to have a baseline.

I did the test out of curiosity and also because I would like to know if my stock struts/shocks are still okay and could still handle the stiffer springs (not that I could feel it going out already). Basically the test came out really good and according to my expectations (and the expectation of H&R - that stock struts can still be used on their sport springs). At the back of my mind, I probably did the test as an excuse to justify my plans on upgrading to full adjustable coilovers! :p Looks like I have to pass on that for a while.

The data is in metric so to my North American brothers, just have the conversion tab on your browser ready. :)

I've seen lots of threads here on PC asking about the weight distribution of the gen2. Well, here it is.
    58.62% front, 41.37% rear

Brake bias: ~ 63% front / 37% rear

pedders tech check prius-1 copy.jpg

pedders tech check prius-2 copy.jpg

pedders tech check prius-3 copy.jpg

SFO and Patrick Wong like this.
  2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting report.

-How is the car tested? Is it placed on a treadmill?
    - Is 124,273 expressed in kilometers or miles?
    - Is "left" and "right" from the perspective of the rear of the car?
    - Is a driver sitting in the car when the weight measurements are taken?

I noticed the "right" front wheel has 26 kg or 57 lb more weight than the "left". If that excludes the driver, and assuming left and right is from the perspective of the rear, then when a RHD vehicle is occupied by just the driver, that imbalance will be further exacerbated.

3. Agent J

Agent J Hypoliterian

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good question. I'm not entirely sure, but I believe that is with a driver. I can ask them for clarification. Though I haven't seen the test in it's entirety, there was a point where one technician was inside the car on the test platform/treadmill.

mileage so far is 124,273km or 77,219 miles. left/right as you would view it from the rear/top view

4. Agent J

Agent J Hypoliterian

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just got back with an answer and they said, yes. The test accounts for a driver in the driver's seat at the time of testing/weighing. He estimated the driver to be 75kg or 165lbs. So this may account for that extra weight on the right front axle. Though we should also account for the driver weight being almost in the center of the vehicle. Also, remember that the inverter and the MGs are situated towards the left front of the vehicle so that will account for something towards the left front weight now that we can net out the weights.

I've also learned 2 years ago when I installed the sport springs that the ride height on the driver's side (right on RHDs) is a bit higher than the passenger side by design. So in theory (though a bit negligible), that may shift some weight to the passenger side (left on RHDs).