1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 2 with a dead battery, can i use GEn 1 cells?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by __Zak__, Sep 9, 2019.

1. __Zak__

__Zak__ New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I currently have a 2002 Prius that i purchased for $200 and I put a brand new traction battery in it from Toyota. A family member just hit it in the passenger side door over the weekend.
    So now I am looking for a replacement car. Since we don't want to pay to fix my beater car. If I find a Gen 2 with a dead battery can I swap out all of the cells and replace them with cells from my brand new gen 1 battery? or should i just look for a Gen 1 with a dead battery?

Thanks for any help! I hope this is posted in the correct place.

2. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    gen 1 cells won't fit. If you can't fix your car, just get another. Maybe you can sell the new battery to recoup some of the cost.

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's not an ideal combo, but Gen 1 modules will fit. You would only use 28 of them for building a Gen 2 pack, so you would have 10 modules left over. It's not a perfect situation, but it has been done previously. The modules are exactly the same thickness, so the gen 2 clamp system works. The clamps are slightly different between Gen 1 and Gen 2, so the outer modules don't line up perfectly with the clamps, but it doesn't seem to cause any problem. People put Gen 2 modules in Gen 1 cases quite frequently. The main difference is the length of the Gen 1 module is slightly less, but all the wiring/busbars, etc, will still work.

I'm pretty sure we even had a member post some photos of a remanufactured battery pack (by a big name company) that had been installed in his Gen 2. It had Gen 1 modules in it.

mroberds and __Zak__ like this.