1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 3 battery modules not accepting full charge

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Hybridsa, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Hybridsa

Hybridsa New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi there I am experiencing the following problem. I removed the battery pack on a gen 3 Prius that is giving an error that the full battery pack needs to be replaced. I am trying to cycle each battery 3 times. However they discharge down to 6 v and give off only about 900 Mah on average. I can only get in an average of 2300 Mah when charging before it accepts no more. Has anyone any advice on how to restore these cells. They all read well above 7.2v so there are no dead cells. Thanks.

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    RCO likes this.
  3. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are all 28 modules exhibiting this very low capacity or just a few? In general, modules with less than 3000 mAh capacity do not have much life left in them. Some people have had success recovering some capacity by charging the modules at a very low current - about 300 mA. This charging rate minimizes the expansion of the module as it heats up. Takes a really long time to reach 6000 mAh obviously this way so a pack charger like the Hybrid Automotive makes this charging rate practical. Otherwise, your best option is installing a brand new pack if your Prius doesn't have over 250K miles on it.

RCO likes this.
  4. Hybridsa

Hybridsa New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately I have tried the slow charging with lower Amps but this also yields only marginal improvements. Am now considering rehydrating with caustic soda solution that I read on another site. Has anyone here had any success with rehydrating?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    there are some threads here, if you can find them. all the best!(y)

Hybridsa likes this.
  6. HBS

HBS Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have had the same problem with several of these batteries/modules. They give off what I call a false state of charge/good. Unlike the gen 2 modules that are usually pretty obvious to find the bad ones, these all appear good on the surface. But if you put them in a car or put a load on them, it's a whole different story. One way that I've been able to get a good read on these batteries is to use the Hybrid Automotive Charger to charge up the battery pack. Once it stops charging use their simple discharger with two 200 watt bulbs to take the pack down to 196 volts. Immediately go through and check the surface voltage on each module, and sometimes you can identify the bad ones that way. If you are doing them individually, I've had the same problem there, too. I have had the best luck though with my Turnigy Accucell 6. I set the charge current to 6, the auto-charge current to 5 and the discharge to 1.0A. Don't give up and keep trying different settings with your charger until you start making progress.

RCO likes this.