1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 3 Certified Preowned 33,000 Miles - New Brake Pads?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by MartinGale, Jul 21, 2017.

1. MartinGale

MartinGale Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am looking to buy a 2014 Prius 2 with 33,000 miles. Dealer shows to have replaced pads and turned rotors. Does that set off alarm bells or am I just being paranoid?

2. CNYhybrid

CNYhybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    33,000 miles is the lowest mileage I have ever seen Prius brakes replaced. I have seen some replaced in 50-60,000 mile range if owner was hard on brakes. I am more concerned with rotors being listed as turned. I don't believe, like all newer cars, that those rotors are designed to be cut or turned. They are customarily just replaced. Take it to an independent dealer to verify what you are being told. Carfax should list other maintenance done and any recalls taken care of or open.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

kenoarto likes this.
  3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Hybrids that sit for long periods can develop at lot of surface rust on the brake rotors which causes a nasty but non-damaging grinding sound when first driven till the rotors are cleaned of the rust. A dealer could interpret this as a problem (or just profit on an unknowing customer) and do some brake work.

KeinoDoggy and scona like this.
  4. MartinGale

MartinGale Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My understanding is the dealer did the work to comply with Certified Preowned requirement. Pads were under 5mm so had to replace and resurface rotors. I just cannot imagine needing front pads that quickly.

This a late in the year model, so only about 3 years old. This part of Texas is not known for high humidity. The car records indicate it has had all service performed locally.

Just trying to grasp what could cause this. Thanks for the replies.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    were they definitely the fronts?

6. MartinGale

MartinGale Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes. If it were the rear and some fool drove with parking brake on, I could understand it. Seems eveyone eles are as confused as I am.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's definitely unusual, if not unheard of. do you have ownership, service and accident history?

8. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It sure does beg the question, "Why?". Typically, a Prius shouldn't need brakes until well after a 100k miles. Due to the regenerative brake system the Prius brake pad hardly touch the rotors during normal operation. Only at speeds below 7MPH, do the brakes actually mechanically apply.
    My thought is that they did the brakes so it would qualify as Certified Preowned.

9. MartinGale

MartinGale Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Finally managed to get the Carfax. Shows disabling accident but is being sold as Toyota Certified.

Think I might make a lowball offer. It has 96 month 100,000 mile warranty on traction battery. I can take it to a good body shop and have it looked over.

On the generation 3, if you press brake pedal and gas pedal at the same time, shouldn't it force charge the hybrid battery? I tried that but no saw no charging.

10. CNYhybrid

CNYhybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I thought a disabling accident would disqualify this from being certified.

The Electric Me likes this.
  11. MartinGale

MartinGale Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is what I thought too. Thank you CNYhybrid. I think it might be a game of smoke and mirrors. The vehicle was a personal lease. Dealer should have photos of the damage. I intend on pressing the point.

I was at another Toyota dealer today to see a vehicle that appeared today as a new listing. When I got there, I was informed it sold on July 4. I am having trouble with the math there. I wonder why a seller would advertise a vehicle, online, which thst have not owned for over two weeks. Bait and switch comes to mind.

I am losing all faith in Toyota. In the past, Japanese auto manufacturers demanded honor and honesty in business. I worry that the old school, who put value on their honor, are dying out. My family did business with a Japanese trading partner for over 30 years. There were no contracts, letters of credit, just personal trust. Their word and ours was sufficient and profitable for all parties.

#11 MartinGale, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with CNYhybrid.
    I thought the whole idea behind an official Toyota Certified Used Hybrid was to get a Hybrid that had NOT been in a "disabling accident".
    But doing some cursory and admittedly quick research, I can't find anything from Toyota that actually SAYS it can't of been in an accident.

The closest statement I can find?

"Each Toyota dealer is required to order a full CARFAX® Vehicle History Report™ with results showing NO ineligible requirements."
    If someone has more information, I'd be curious.

But I can't really find a comprehensive list of what constitutes "ineligible requirements". I can't really find a statement saying the vehicle CAN'T have an accident in it's history?

But IMO, if the Carfax is showing the it HAS been in an accident? I'd pass.
    Why pay the premium for a "Certified Used" Hybrid that admittedly has an accident in it's past?

Tande likes this.
  13. ♡myPeeus

♡myPeeus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Carfax isnt the only vehicle reporting company that keeps all records on ones car. There is another auto reporting company like Carfax along with Toyota will have all records done at a dealer. I recieved the report after bank papers signed and to find what I did disturbed me to the core. It had 2 accidents, 5 different owners, so i took the car to a friend whom does one the the states best body and paints, he can spot flaws of any kind, and only passenger door replaced and that was only work done besides touch up paint.
    The interior new or like new. And runs still great, it is now at 160 miles and now im holding my breath. I can let you know of the detailed report name if you still need it.

14. MartinGale

MartinGale Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I plan on asking dealer for details of the repairs. If they have any hope of selling me the car, they are going to have to demonstrate that the "disabling accident" was something minor. I have had good luck taking cars to body shops in the past. A pro can spot even the good repairs.

I also have a tool for measuring the thickness of coatings over steel. It is good at finding repainted or bondo repairs.

I would love to know the name of the other reporting company. I am sure other readers would be interested as well.

Merkey likes this.
  15. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did the dealer disclose this or did you find it out through your own research?

16. MartinGale

MartinGale Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Carfax is on their site. They have an "Express Purchase" system that was like bad penny. My browser kept going there so I could not find the Carfax button. I might have had snow blindness. It has been a long day. I did a search on toyota,com for Certified Preowned and this car does not appear in the results.

When I bought my last Prius, it was represented as Certified Preowned until came time for the paperwork. I told them tonsharpen their pencil and adjust the price. They had already made a deal for something they could not deliver so they were screwed.

17. CNYhybrid

CNYhybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I seem to recall that in order to be Toyota Certified there can only be body damage to no more than two panels, neither of which required removal from the vehicle. The premium for a certified vehicle is approximately $1,500. I'd walk away from this as there are just too many questions and doubts.

Tande likes this.
  18. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Same, same.^^^

19. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That is not true at all. The amount of friction braking occurring depends upon how hard the brakes are applied, not upon the speed of the vehicle. Get up to 80 MPH and mash the brake pedal to the floor. There is no way regenerative braking alone will cause the result you are going to get. There is a Hybrid Assistant app you can get for android that connects to an OBDII "live" scanner that will show when friction braking begins - and it is at a lot lower level of braking than you would think.

Generating electricity requires a conductor (rotor of the generator), a magnetic field (stator of the generator), and relative motion between the two. The wheels have to be turning to provide the relative motion required for generating electricity for the regenerative braking and resulting charging of the battery.

20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My first brake inspection, around 40K kms, the pads were around 7.5~8.0 mm. They start around 10 mm. I would say we're really easy on them.