1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 3 Clock Spring / Spiral Cable Factory VS Aftermarket

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Sidewayzgt, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Sidewayzgt

Sidewayzgt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok, there are many threads out there regarding the quality of replacement clock springs/spiral cable. I replaced my clock spring about a year ago because my horn stopped working. I used an Eb** aftermarket cheapie. Ever since then, my traction control light has remained on and has not gone off (I tried everything) and the airbag light would go on and off intermittently. Now, I really do not want to drop $500+ on a factory part but I would like some opinions. Are there any good aftermarket manufacturers to look for? There are so many aftermarket parts and manufacturers on these websites. Has anybody had good luck with a specific aftermarket clock spring manufacturer. $50 is a lot less then $500 and it’s not to hard to replace. Thanks in advance!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Perhaps a junkyard?

3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think you probably have a good guess about how well a $50 clockspring works. Hot or miss. Which is not what you really want for something that is connected to your air bag.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

4. Sidewayzgt

Sidewayzgt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am not really concerned with the airbag, it’s my horn that I need. Has anybody had any good luck with a semi cheap aftermarket clock spring? I do not want to spend $500. Thank you

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not that i have read. i agree with air, look for low mile salvage.

6. Robehne

Robehne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

7. Robehne

Robehne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Excellent question. I am surprised no one has a good response. The clock spring in both of my Prius have failed. I replaced both with oem original toyota used cables from eBay. After 100,000, now one of those are failing. I’m guessing around 150,000 mile is all they are good for. I don’t understand why they are so expensive.

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The Gen 3 Toyota ones come with the steering angle sensor attached, increasing the cost.