1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 3 Cylinder Head Locator Pins

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by donzoh1, Jan 29, 2019.

1. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I was trying to remove the locator/roll pin that came out with the cylinder head when I removed the head. The one close to the cam sprockets stayed in the block. Eventually, the machine shop got it out but in the process broke part of the hole that holds the pin. They attached the piece again and it seems pretty strong but even if it was to break off, there's enough of the hole left to hold the head in place. But, the locator pin was mangled in the process of removal. I'm either getting a new one from the dealer for about 2 bucks (plus a round trip of 20 miles) or I'm using an old socket which coincidentally is just about the same diameter as the pin! The original pins don't have a slot but are a essentially a small piece of tubing, .510 inches in diameter and maybe 1/2 inch long. I can duplicate the outside dimensions with the socket but wonder whether any expansion issue would be a potential problem.

2. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Geez, I guess there are animals out there! Hope they didn’t charge you for darn near ruining your engine block.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The locator pins are just that, an alignment aid. If they're functional enough, once you've dropped in all the head bolts, it doesn't matter?

JStrenk likes this.
  4. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yep, they still charged but they've done good work for me before at reasonable prices. I'm guessing they should have cut it off and drilled it out?