1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 3 Dashboard rattles & creaks

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by L8rnr, Sep 17, 2009.

1. schoolchef

schoolchef New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had my audio shop look at the glove box rattle. They were unable to definitively find a fix, but felt it was the structure of the glove box itself and recommended it be replaced.

Since the Toyota dealer has already replaced the center console, I'll broach the subject of a glove box replacement, too.

2. adrianblack

adrianblack Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My car has gotten really bad ... both center console and glove box. I have isolated the center console noise entirely to the connection point between the arm-rest console thing and the swooping part where the shifter comes down. If the dealer won't fix, I have a feeling wedging stuff inside of it should fix it -- so there is hope. Just sucks, I am at 750 miles and it's so noisy! Is this all of these Gen III cars? I'm not that picky ... but it's noisyyyyyyyyyyyy.

I'm going to the dealer soon.

3. jarchitect

jarchitect New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yup, I've got dashboard rattles in my Gen III. The two most annoying are the center console (or is it deep inside the dash...behind the radio?), and the top glove box (or is it the right air vent?) Yup...pretty annoying. I'm due for my 5000 in a few hundred miles and will definitely mention it to the dealer...however, I expect to get the blank stare, shruggy-shoulder treatment.

4. snoctor

snoctor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I bought my '10 Prius in August and immediately noticed the dashboard creaks and rattles. Makes noise even on smooth roads.... basically the littlest bump generates a noise in the dashboard and sometimes in the bridge. Worse now in colder weather. I had an '05 Corolla for 3 years before it started started making similar noises. My neighbor has an '07 Prius and his is still noise-free. I actually took my car to the dealership and they claimed they couldn't hear anything.... I realized it was probably better that they don't go in there. Disappointing.

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You have a very good point, I have decided to try and fix my own rattles because I am afraid the dealership, if they did anything at all, might make things worse. Fixing rattles is not something they like to do so it probably goes to the least skilled and poorly trained guy in the shop, and he hates doing it. I have had bad experiences trying to get dealerships to do things like fixing rattles before.

6. MikeDS

MikeDS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This looks like a good third party business idea. I'd probably pay someone decent money to make my car like a lexus. Quiet and rattle free.

7. barnabas

barnabas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Some very expensive cars get rattles and the dealers use wd-40 at the plastic edges to quite them. Some better dealers disassemble the plastic and apply a very fine coating of rubber cement on the edges that connect or touch anything, that works and lasts, but should not be necessary.

Good luck

8. barnabas

barnabas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Don't forget to let the rubber cement dry before reinstalling panels.!!!!

9. blk2010

blk2010 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    mine is 2 months old and its from the same place, acctually from both speakers.

10. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Rubber cement would be a good choice- just make sure you're NOT using CONTACT cement!!!!!

Another really great choice might be that stuff they use as an adhesive on postcards/mailings. The stuff that's VERY clear and shiney and stays very rubbery, yet sticky. Anyone know what it's called or who makes it? Seems like if you could find a way to apply it with a brush or as a long thin string you could provide great isolation between plastic parts that are rattling together.

11. adrianblack

adrianblack Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's raining here in LA today (quite hard actually) .... and was just out shopping with a friend, and guess what? No rattles AT ALL. Maybe a couple "ticks" when I started driving but after a couple minutes gone. I know they will all be back but still.....

12. Benggolf

Benggolf Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess it is safe to say..."when it gets cold... expect the car to rattle, squeek, creak and groan!" :mad:

In cases like this, I am happy to be half deaf. ;)

13. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Bengolf, that's not so bad, I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other.

14. Benggolf

Benggolf Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish you well Bighouse. Am thankful for whatever I can enjoy each and every day. :)

God bless and have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year one and all! :cheer2:

15. Prius Dave

Prius Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have the same problem with my 2010 at only 3000 miles it started to have serious dash board rattles and they are increasing I cant stand it

16. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mine too rattles significantly at times. I wonder if Toyota's aware of the rattling issues with the G3. I expect SOME noise, but I have a feeling that just based on the users here at Priuschat who've spoken up, that it's gotta be a real problem that they MUST know about?

Maybe if it were a safety issue Toyota would do a recall to fix all the rattling by isolating the connection surfaces with some kind of felt or rubber coating. Perhaps we can all say that we're so distracted by the rattling that we can't pay attention to the road and we're swerving around trying to find rattling sources while driving instead of driving.

Maybe it'll take a Prius or two running off the road while attempting to find rattling sources before Toyota hears us??? Any volunteers???

17. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm very sorry to hear so many of you GenIII owners are having rattle issues. I didn't expect that the GenIII would have any real flaws and if I could afford one right now I likely would have traded in my GenII for one.

I hope each and every one of you form some kind of complaint at your dealer or with Toyota. The squeaky dash gets the grease right? :)

It is my hopes that if enough of you complain then Toyota will take notice and fix them for future models, and yours.

18. PriusTex

PriusTex New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    With less than 3000 miles on my 2010, I have a rattle in the dashboard on the driver's side at the speaker, and a loud rattle at the interior vent to the hybrid battery. I live in an area with fairly good roads.

19. adrianblack

adrianblack Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There are so many Gen III's on the road here in LA and I want to know are all the cars doing this?? I asked a friend in Orange County if his rattles and he says no. But maybe he doesn't notice and I know the roads in Orange County are very smooth generally compared to the bumpy broken crap here in LA.

I really do love my Prius, but I worry these rattles will just keep getting worse. Seems so un-Toyota like. I was expecting a vault-like ride and quietness.... not what I have. I can't believe it's worse already (less than 1000 miles) than my old 8 year old Mazda Protege!

20. frogpond1

frogpond1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Odd. I test drove twice and nothing. Both test drives were in coller weather and one test drive was for an extended drive. Both times the car was quite almost too quite. When I do finally get mine I hope this doesn't happen.