1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 3 dies, I get check engine and triangle,

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by gator1976, Sep 2, 2018.

1. gator1976

gator1976 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My prius is starting to anger me. All of a sudden it dies last Monday. I get check engine and triangle and ICE dies "service hybrid system" comes up on display. I can clear codes, recycle ignition and itll run about 2 miles and dies, sometimes, other times I can get 10 miles out of it, and for the most part it dont die above 55mph but when I let off gas and start to slow.. it all happens again. I have a scanner so I did the thing. Got the codes In the pictures, I have replaced the MAF, air filter, and spark plugs, I have the upstream o2 sensor on order to pick up Tuesday. Any ideas? 20180828_161842.jpg 20180828_161846.jpg 20180828_161850.jpg 20180828_161853.jpg 20180828_161857.jpg

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

you might need tech stream diagnostic software.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Fuel pump? Something in the fuel delivery system seem awry.

More details about your Prius might help us(y).

AliPK, JC91006 and m.wynn like this.
  4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you know for sure that your scanner pics up hybrid codes?
    If not get an elm 327 Bluetooth obdii adaptor, Android phone/tablet and the torque pro app.

Would be helpful to see hybrid battery data live.

5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    agree, something along the lines of fuel delivery. could be fuel injectors because there's an imbalance of mixture throwing throwing those codes. after replace MAF, sparks, filter, that narrows down to fuel related.

JC91006, m.wynn and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    All codes aside from P0420 have been noted with turd gen with fuel pump issues reported here on PC. If I were shotgunning parts my next move would be fuel pump, holding off on the A/F sensor since the lean code (P0171) would likely resolve with restored fuel pressure, as would the MAF and 3190 codes. I would test fuel pressure before shotgunning the pump, a bit of a pain as you have to T into the fuel line on these things. There is no schraeder style test valve in the line.

P0420 is the outlier, but it may not be beyond the realm of possibility that resolving the P0171 would solve it, too. There have been reports of A/F sensor issues leading to false P0420. But generally with the Prius (and Toyota in general), P0420 points at an actual cat efficiency issue.

Rule out a fuel pressure issue before throwing any more unnecessary parts... Also, be sure these parts are oem as Toyotas generally don't play well with aftermarket electrics. Is the car an oil burner? Miles?..

JC91006, bisco and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. gator1976

gator1976 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks all, I reluctantly took it to a shop today they did a diagnostic test, and came up with o2 sensors and some other sensor I dont remember.

It's a 2012 prius 3 with 142,000 I was living in it for about a month. When I came back to illinois from Nevada, one night it started idling rough and escalated,. I found a vacuum line off and put it back on, that smoothed it out for a week, then last week my girlfriend was driving it and it died. I've since ,tried a maf sensor, plugs, air filter, 12 batt, and a bottle of cat a clean, my gf took it to her mechanic today and we will see what transpires, I guess. In the mean time I have a jeep patriot to drive.

8. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Before I found the bent valve on my repaired head, I was getting a mass air flow code and a lean code. But I was also getting cylinder 1 misfire code. I wonder if maybe you are getting some blow back into the intake from a head gasket leak? Or maybe a burned valve?

m.wynn likes this.
  9. gator1976

gator1976 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The shop, after putting a new o2 sensor, found these vacuum lines off, now for what ever reason the motion arrows that show charge direction on my MFD doesn't work, nor on the hybrid system indicator area, but the battery level shows charge and discharge with the change in level.

Attached Files:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The hose that is off is the PCV valve hose.

Any work done to that section of your Prius before?

m.wynn likes this.
  11. gator1976

gator1976 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Unkno
    Unknown prior to ownership

12. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The other hose that was off is to the vacuum system that ties in at the base of the intake manifold.

Some questions:
    • How long have you owned your Prius?
    • How many miles have you put on it?
    • No damage or maintenance work done to the intake system during your ownership?
    • Is the shop a hybrid knowledgeable shop?
    • What code reader are they using?
    Good luck and keep us posted (y).

m.wynn likes this.
  13. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Enough blow back to blow off the PCV and intake VSV hoses simultaneously? If so, that could be a logical explanation to a seemingly bizarre set of symptoms thus far. If the PCV hose blew off suddenly while driving, that would shut the car down - game over.

OP, when the PCV hose (the larger of the 2 you've pictured) is disconnected, the car won't (or shouldn't:eek:) drive any amount of miles. It won't start, although the hybrid system will spin the engine normally for a few seconds, before shutting down and setting P0A0F - "engine failed to start" along with the "check hybrid" display. P0A0F is a hybrid ecu code. If your Actron is not hybrid aware, that would explain the engine ecu code P3191 (engine does not start) but no P0A0F. The PCV and intake VSV hoses off would certainly trigger pending P0171. Are you saying you have been getting the car to drive 2-10 mile trips while those hoses were unhooked?.. Regardless, why both those hoses were off seems to be the question that needs to be answered, imo...

Raytheeagle likes this.
  14. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And regarding lack of hv battery charge/discharge arrows, check your 12v compartment and be sure the ambient temp sensor is connected to it's wiring harness. It's the black, plastic sensor mounted onto the metal bracket which holds the 12v battery in place. Although a shot in the dark, there are threads here claiming this sensor unplugged kills the arrow display of the hv battery:confused:...

https://priuschat.com/attachments/img_1980_md-jpg.45340/?temp_hash=3f38cd2b44f8902438a41a0952f59b30

https://priuschat.com/proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fpriuschat.com%2Fattachments%2Fa215211-png.34680%2F&hash=e020b3960bd555fbafdb3c575aa8ca98

#14 m.wynn, Sep 8, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    PokerMunkee and Raytheeagle like this.
  15. gator1976

gator1976 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That was the problem for that, after searching the forum I found that to be most issues, its fixed

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

16. gator1976

gator1976 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes 2 to 10 miles on ICE then it would shut down and display CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM. I have put hose clamps on those two hoses, thinking old and hardened lines, and replaced the O2 sensor I still get check engine indicator after I power down and restart. It's still saying bank one catalist. After I clear the code, it stays off till next power cycle.when ICE runs for about 5 min. But smooth running.

17. gator1976

gator1976 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've had it just over a year. I've put 32,000 on it ( lots of long road trips ) no damage or work done to my car, period, exception, oil changes. Not real hybrid knowledgeable but hes going to classes. Hes got a snap on reader less than a year old.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  18. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Where in Illinois are you located? If near the Wisconsin line, @ericbecky is in Madison and had a shop.

While Snap On makes good tools, Techstream is the one technology that can read the check Hybrid system codes your Prius is displaying.

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

m.wynn likes this.
  19. gator1976

gator1976 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Western central, south of quincy. Just about all there is here is stealerships. I trust my mechanic our combined knowledge has gotten me this far.
    I must also advise when changing spark plugs extreme care be used when removing the wiper assy. Busted windshields arent cheap

20. anonymous

anonymous Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    EVAP purge valve stuck open!!!