1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 3 Dual batteries.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Ford Galaxie, May 23, 2021.

1. Ford Galaxie

Ford Galaxie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I'll start with this. Going to add an inverter, an isolator and a matching Optima battery.

Roughed out the fit for the second battery in the left rear well. Fairly crude but gets me in the ballpark. It'll get cleaned up.

Slow project, as I work 60-75 hours a week and still have a life.

Anyone have any suggestions for a battery post that I can add a 4 gauge cable to off the main 12v battery- as in someone in the real world who actually has done it and has pictures vs social media user who talks about what they think should be done.

Attached Files:

2. Ed Beaty

Ed Beaty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not exactly sure what your question pertains to, but THIS may be of use (YouTube video of a second 12V battery install).

Montgomery likes this.
  3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    some feller in the audio side of this sub forum has 2 additional batteries for an 8,000 watt audio system. 0 gauge power cables!

4. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You could get some copper pipe, hammer it flat then around a piece of wood dowl the same size
    as the post, and you can drill a hole for a bolt, then solder wire into it.

ETC(SS) likes this.
  5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    you can buy them pre flatten on eBay with various widths and thickness. Bought a foot long one for my LiFePO4 battery that I built for the solar roof.

6. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ditto Ed, someone in here already did this and did a great job.

7. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    So... I received my first 85AH battery back in February that I used as my second battery through isolator and breakers. After months of.. headaches... I received another 85AH battery that I replaced the OEM 12v battery with. So now I have two 85AH batteries and a BMV-712 which will be hooked to a Raspbery Pi...

I said all that to say, do not use anything smaller than 1/0 0 gauge wire... use it on all lines in your dual battery setup, even the negative!

Trust me when I say this, the Prius is picky, just this weekend I was waiting to install two additional 0 gauge cables and used I believe 2 or 4 gauge wire from bus bar to the battery. When I tried to use my 1500 watt water heater, the inverter beeped at me... soon as I put the 0 gauge wires in, all worked as expected.

Dual 85AH batteries in my Toyota Prius with a Victron BMV-712 - black_jmyntrn

Check out the link to my blog above, now I am running two 2000+ watt pure sine inverters, one off the main and one off the secondary.

8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For? ;)
    .....Just being curious.....I use a P0-w as a print server, and I have a P4 that I use as a desktop replacement and file server.
    I have a few P0s laying around and a 3b+ that are waiting for me to get a spark of inspiration to build something like an alarm system or Wx station......
    I took a stab at HA, but it's not turn-key enough for me yet and I use stand alone TASMOTA for all of my light timers, garage door opener, etc...

@Ford Galaxie
    Sorry for the lane change.

My power guys may or may not have informed me that Optimas have had some QA issues of late and we've maybe dumped them all en masse for use in all of our generators. We may or may not use a company called North Star (Exide) and all of our generators are diesels, and the decision may or may not have been made in the head-shed for reasons OTHER than performance - so take all of that for what its worth.
    just do some internet sleuthing before selecting a battery.....

YMMV

9. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    One Pi is a media player with Kodi only, it connects to the projector when I overland. It did connect through wifi to pi with openmediavault but that was replaced with a 4TB wireless pro hard drive. the pi in the glove box hands out 2ghz wifi to all of the wifi switches like the tasmota s31 and led light strips, this pi also has the influxdb/grafana running since its the MQTT server. the pi4 has a touchscreen and the Z-Wave USB stick to control all. just need time to disassemble to motion sensors I have, mount them outside of the car, and set them to trigger LED light bars when it's completely dark outside.

ETC(SS) likes this.