1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 3 LKA camera -- can it be used as a dashcam?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by unterhausen, Dec 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. unterhausen

unterhausen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am wondering if anyone ever looked into this. Did a forum search and didn't find anything. Probably because I'm horrible at searching.

Obviously, you would need to add a frame grabber and storage device of some kind

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I looked into this for the fourth-generation Prius (previous thread) and concluded that there wasn’t enough published information to say for sure, and I wasn’t interested in risking damage to my car or incurring the cost of a salvage part for further investigation.

A casual glance through the Electrical Wiring Diagram for the third-generation Prius, available by subscription to techinfo.toyota.com, suggests that the situation may be similar. I didn’t see a clearly-labeled “VID OUT” pin, just power and CAN bus connections, suggesting that the video signal processing is done inside the camera assembly, with only the results of that processing transmitted externally.